Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

My idea on a cnc machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Paulo CAMPOS, Mar 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Paulo CAMPOS

Builder

so this is my 1st post on this forum and i would like to share my 1st build for a cnc machine ,i would also feedback and some new ideas regarding the build and what Im doing good or bad, and what could be improved

What i could not find any info online its on the C bean plate. are they sturdy enough for a build like this ? im planing on putting a 2.2kw spindle like thouse you get on aliexpress for like 200-400 euro

This cnc has a work table of 2m X 1m , it will be used mostly for wood tables and smal Aluminium , Bronze machining

Looking forward for your feed back guys

Attached Files:

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  2. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

Being honest, this is going to go wrong horribly fast.

Picture 1:
    The frame will wobble.

Picture 2:
    I'm assuming it's just the way whatever CAD program you used just happened to conveniently flip the gantry plates around. Have the spindle on such a large leverage arm will absolutely wreak havoc on the frame and linear motion.

Picture 3:
    The wheels just aren't going to handle it. Even after correcting the gantry plate orientation, you'll have a lot of weight on a bunch of tiny wheels that will be almost impossible to service.

Picture 4/5:
    This is an easy fix. You can't have your spindle hanging so far away from the linear components. It's another leverage force.

Picture 6:
    Another leverage issue. You can't place all of the force on such a small area. Your wheels would need to be on the top and bottom of the gantry extrusion, not the inside.

Picture 7:
    A 2m lead screw at this size isn't stable at all. Even at 1m, the 8mm lead screw begins to whip.

General:
    A 2.2kW spindle will hurt you way more than it will help. You can put 10 wheels spread far apart on each axis and they still won't handle the forces from that spindle. The steppers will also struggle to push it along or hold it up. Plus it's just way too heavy for this form factor. A build similar to this would do fine with a router or 500W spindle.

I'm not trying to be mean, just being honest.

3. rscamp

rscamp Well-Known
    Builder

At the risk of sounding mean, the small separation of the wheels when they mate on the inside of rails is just an awful approach. This will lead to extremely high sideward loads on these wheels with gravity and material working forces and very, very poor machine stiffness. To make matters even worse, the wheels need to be on cantilevered supports which adds to the lack of stiffness.