Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

My first CNC - Advice needed

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by StudioJLT, Mar 18, 2019.

1. StudioJLT

StudioJLT New
    Builder

Hello all,
    I've tried the search function and skimmed the first ten pages, so apologies if this has been asked before.

This will be my first CNC, so my #1 goal is to keep this simple and modify it as I see fit. With that in mind, I'm looking at the Lead 1010. I will be using it for wood and acrylic cutting.

I know I will need the various cutting bits, a spoil board, software (I don't want to learn one program and then move on to a better one so I'll probably go for V-Carve), and a way to clamp down the piece (thinking t-tracks here). I'll probably get a cheap PC to keep in my shop (not sure this will all run on my Macbook).

But what else do I NEED in order to get started?

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I can help with the t-track. Orange Aluminum has the best price I have found. I needed 10 pieces for my CNC bed 1500 by 850. But, at $100 , shipping was free so I added 2 more to the order. It cost the same total price for 10, or 12 pieces. :) https://www.orangealuminum.com/t-tracks-and-framing-systems/t-tracks-and-accessories.html. I have my 4 foot long track spaced about every 2.75 inches and am liking it. At 1500 mm, your total cutting length will be just over 49 inches so the 4 foot pieces were perfect.

StudioJLT likes this.
  3. StudioJLT

StudioJLT New
    Builder

Thanks Giarc, I was looking at those exact t-tracks. Anything missing from my list?

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

You mentioned that you are looking at the LEAD 1010, but didnt say what options you were getting with it, if any. The base config is just the frame. You need motors, a power supply, a router, drivers (either external or all-in-one) and wiring at the minimum. Nice to have's are limit switches, iot relay, z or x,y,z touch plate and a dust shoe. Cant suggest software to control it until you figure out what driver setup you're going to use.

If it were me, I'd go with:

- High Torque Motors
    - 24v Power Supply Bundle
    - Wiring Kit
    - Blackbox controller (these just came out. I tested one over the weekend and think its a great unit. It works well with the free Openbuilds Control software): BlackBox Motion Control System
    - Router: I've only used a Dewalt so I cant say if another router is better.

Hope this helps.

5. StudioJLT

StudioJLT New
    Builder

I figured I’d select each of the options, choosing the high torque motors. What does the black box controller do? Is it a substitute for the driver board?
    I’ll add limit switches and the iot relay as I know what they do.

6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Yes. They probably dont have it listed on the Lead page because it was just released. In the last 3 months I've used the Xpro, arudino with DQ542 drivers and the blackbox. The blackbox is by far the easiest to setup of the 3. You wont use the full potential of those high torque motors with the Xpro board. Do a search here for the blackbox build thread.

MFCarew and Edward Fowler like this.