Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Multiple laser modules on one Blackbox controller

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by call_ma_breeze, Sep 15, 2020.

1. call_ma_breeze

Builder

Hello :)

I'm succesfully running my WorkBee controlled by Blackbox with 1,5 kW WC spindle and laser module. Becouse of weak laser module engraving is quite slow. On the other hand I was thinking to connect one or two additional laser modules so it can engrave multiple workpieces simultaneously.

Anyone tried yet? Is it even possible?

Greetings from Slovenia.

Attached Files:

#1 call_ma_breeze, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

To etch multiple workpieces simultaneously, you'd have to build a bar to hold them at fairly precise offsets to each other, figure out a removable but repeatable mounting solution to connect it to your Z axis, and tram it in either X or Y. Then you'd have to make a fixture to hold the parts to be etched at the exact same offset to each other as the lasers are on the bar. Not impossible, not even enormously difficult, but still a fair bit of work.

Plus, even with inexpensive laser modules from DTR or similar and a lot of DIY, it's an expensive way to go- probably in the $500 range. Not anywhere near as expensive as building a CO2 laser (~$2k?), but enough that I'd look into other efficiencies like air assist first. Or just upgrade the laser module- if it's not in the 4-7W range you're adding unnecessary cycle time. If it is and you're simply running into the limitations of diode lasers in general, maybe look into putting a K40 on an ACRO or something along those lines. Tube lasers are a significant step up in danger and complexity, though.

I've also found that multiple faster passes are faster overall and produce cleaner results than one or two slow, heavy passes.