Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mounting a V-slot 40x40 linear rail orthogonally to a universal build plate

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Josh Finken, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Josh Finken

Builder

Hello at OpenBuilds!

I'd like to understand how to orthogonally mount a V-slot 40x40 (or 20x20) linear rail to the universal build plate. Think: an arrow (the rail) coming straight out of a target (the plate, ideally from the middle of the plate).

I have the full OpenBuilds 3D step file library and am pulling various components into CAD along with a rail and the plate. But I don't see any L-brackets: Black Angle Corner Connector or the generic L-Connector with hole-patterns that align with the plate to allow the rail to be mounted in this orientation.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    -Josh

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Obviously the plate is not as universal as the name would imply. About all that would work would be a single 20x40 or a pair of 20x60s. But as the plate is aluminum and aluminum is easily drilled, ultimately the plate can work with whatever you want it to work with.

BTW, perpendicular would be a much better word for the mounting orientation.

3. Josh Finken

Builder

Thank you for the reply, and good point with respect to drilling into the aluminum. I've discovered an arrangement that will work for my needs, but will continue to explore. Thanks again.

Regarding orthogonality and perpendicular, in this context they are synonyms.
    Orthogonal -- from Wolfram MathWorld