Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Motors stop working as 3d printer runs

Discussion in '3D printers' started by AdmiralCoeyman, Mar 13, 2021.

1. AdmiralCoeyman

Builder

I built a 3-d Printer using using a ramps 3D v1 Motherboard and DRV8825 drivers. Everything is mostly complete, but the motors stop running after a short time. They start clicking as though the steps were set much too large. The lead screws stop turning then the clicking starts. I have turned the tuning screws down.

What should I check first? I have another motherboard with drivers installed in it. The other board is a rumba plus.

While I was getting things set up, I did crush one of the limit switches. The motors seem to still be working. That would only have damaged one motor if that was the problem. What I could really use is information on troubleshooting the motor problems. It could be motherboard, drivers, or the motors.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Overheats very easily. Add heatsinks, add fan, and turn current down. They cannot deliver 2.5A as marketing says. The chip is designed to solder onto a big PCB and heatsink via the bottom, through the PCB with big copper pours. The little pololu style plugin modules have very insufficient heatsinking ability, meaning they can barely deliver 500mA per coil before they go into thermal shutdown

sharmstr likes this.
  3. AdmiralCoeyman

Builder

Thank you. I will try that. What has been puzzling me is that it used to work. Is it possible that the thermal problem went up when I started using more drivers in a close space?