Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Motors not rotating

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Vaclav Chytry, Jan 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Vaclav Chytry

Builder

Hello,
    I builded MiniMill with blackbox motion control. I use as sw Openbuilds control, I choosed the profile for MiniMill.
    But I have problem with all 3 motors. When I jog in one axis, the motor only jumping left right with great noise, no rotation. And from start of blackbox, motors hold with high force (it is not possible rotate by hand. Without power, all axis running easily and fluently).

You can see this issue in video:

20200105_173719.mp4

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thats a wiring issue: either you have the wrong order or only 3 of the 4 wires are making contact. If your motors are not from OpenBuilds identify the coils using a Multimeter

Perfect, thats what you want (free wheeling motors would a) loose position or b) burn out your controller. NEVER spin motors by hand, they work like generators pushing voltage back into the stepper drivers, frying them! Sad to read you did do that! Watch out!
    - So motors lock on power up (as intended) because $1=255 in Grbl settings. DO NOT CHANGE IT. Its best practise to keep position and prevent damage
    - Next up $4=1 should be set by the profile but do check that it is. (Or if you are in OpenBuilds CONTROL > Grbl Settings > $4 > Enabled)
    - Check troubleshooting tab: Any limits lit up when they shouldnt be (grbl won't move if limits are wired wrong / triggered and Hard Limits is enabled in settings
    - Clear Alarms (grbl will not move if its in an alarmed state
    - Check the Serial Log for clues

3. Vaclav Chytry

Builder

Ok, I measured it and the issue was on bad connection :-( I am sorry for this stupid mistake, but I believed that exist "color standard" on wires by motors. And I didn´t measure it. I change now the blue and green wires (oposite position than blackbox wiki picture) and all is OK.

Oh, :banghead: But I didn´t spin with motors. I tried, but motors held. But I spun with motors during power off, hm ....
    Thank you for robust controller. Yes, it is logic what you wrote, but I was out at that time from first connection and I did first error with non-measurement and than I created in panic other mistakes.

Thank you for your time and your patience explain it to me.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

still bad :) the output h-bridges can still be overvolted, steppers make surprisingly good generators, particularly if spun fast (like pushing a carriage on a belt driven system by hand)
    Glad you are sorted!