Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Motors Humming - Normal?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by brrian, Dec 29, 2019.

1. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

I've got my Workbee 1515 up & running. I'm using BlackBox & NEMA 23 high torque motors. Everything seems to be moving normally but the motors are lightly humming. It starts as soon as it's powered up. I think I've seen references to using the trim pots on the BlackBox to address it, but I've seen nothing official anywhere & don't want to mess anything else up. Is it normal for them to hum, or not? And if not, what's the proper way to address it?

Thanks,

Brian

2. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

Additional info... each motor seems to sound a little different. I started disconnecting them one by one, and with two disconnected the sound was almost gone, But it also seemed like unplugging one motor had an effect on another, unless that was my ears playing tricks on me. And they make 'winding up" and winding down" noises as I plug them in. And at one point while just sitting there powered on, something seemed to 'stutter'. What a mess of a post...hopefully some of this make sense to somebody. Thank you...

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No Humming is normal, if you adjust the current so low the noise disappears then there is no power left to run the motors (;

The drivers are constant current chopper drivers, actively and continually changing their sine wave output to adapt to the need of the motor. What you are hearing is just the driver doing its thing. Once the endmill hits the material, the motors will be the least of the noises (;

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Since we don't offer a 1515, just allow me to check, is the High Torque motors ours? If not, then the may also have slightly different characteristics (inductance, coil voltage, etc) that may make it sound worse too

5. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

I don't believe they're yours; they came as part of a kit I bought through Spark Concepts. I'm going to ask for the specs & will probably post them in case there's something somebody sees that's worth addressing.

I 100% understand the mechanical side of these machines, but barely understand the electrical side so anything unexpected makes me anxious. I appreciate the help & patience & someday soon I'll pay it forward...

6. Peter Van Der Walt

SparkFun should be OK, they used DRV88x drivers on their kit so their motors should be low voltage coils too, good. Some chinese suppliers throw in high coil voltage motors, therefore the question

If you'd like me to checkout the sound and tell you if its normal or not, grab a recording/video :)

7. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

Spark Concepts (Spark Concepts), not SparkFun. I asked for motor specs. And yes, I'll record & post the sound. Thanks!

8. Peter Van Der Walt

My bad, oops!. Luckily Spark Concepts use DRV8825s so same reply applies