Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Motors going in the wrong direction

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Dennis Roberts, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Dennis Roberts

Builder

Hi hoping someone else has had the same issue.
    Have a problem with my machine I have the workbee 1010 I built it and was running fine except for some connection issues which some of you helped me with thank you. I ran the hello world cut and it was fine. I was on Easel doing a project and they said my motors were wired wrong and they would fix it after that the motors were going in opposite directions not sure what to do. the Z axis is fine but the x and y axis are going in the wrong directions The wires all match up to each other and when I tried switching connectors the y axis would only go in one direction. Any help would be appreciated.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Never mind what the Easel software says, it is more important that YOU know which way things should be moving.

You say the 'hello world' cut correctly. in which case your motors are turning the correct directions, otherwise the words would come out backwards or upsidedown.

anyhow, for the record, CNC directions are defined as 'tool motion', ie if we say Z+ is means the tool is moving away from the work. -Z is moving the tool down into the work.
    X+ is tool right
    Y+ is tool away.

Why is this 'tool' movement important? You have a workbee, the gantry moves, and tool motion is exactly the same as gantry motion, all pretty obvious.
    But on some machines Z is actually the table moving up and down below the tool, so Z+ moves the table down which is the same as the tool moving up.

Moving table machines also move the table left (which is tool right) for Z+ and so on, and this is why the idea of tool direction is important.

so, what directions does your tool move?

3. Dennis Roberts

Builder

Hi David

The x plus is going left and y plus is coming towards me not sure why this is happening. It worked well when i cut out the hello world file.

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

ok, that is backwards, your helloworld will have cut upside down, but it shoudl cut as you see it in the 3d Preview

in OpenbuildsCONTROL click the 'GRBL Settings' tab.
    then change the two PINK arrowed times to 'not what they are now'
    then click the green arrowed button to save to the controller.
    upload_2021-1-26_11-58-1.png

5. NewbCNC

NewbCNC New
    Builder

Hi, I've got the same issue, my X and Z are the wrong way around on the interface...

I've downloaded the controller but I can't see anyway to invert them as shown in the above response, this is what I see. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

First connect to the controller. Then the Grbl Settings can be accessed.

7. NewbCNC

NewbCNC New
    Builder

Hi Peter

I was running the interface with the flashdrive provided with the blackbox interface.

This is what I've done so far...
    I've downloaded the firmware and control and added to the flashdrive then downloaded it onto the interface.

What I'm having issues with
    — I've inserted the flashdrive but I can't seem to connect, see serial console message
    > meaning I'm unable to invert directions...

— When I jog my machine to the limit switches, they turn red but I can still jog further into the switch if I wanted which makes me think the limit switches are not active and in the screen capture image I notice the status is off?

Sorry, I'm totally new to CNC so this is all a little confusing at the moment. How to get this set up correctly.

Attached Files:

8. Peter Van Der Walt

CONTROL is for connecting to the BlackBox

You can invert axes one of three ways
    - CONTROL > Grbl Settings tab (pc connected to BlackBox)
    - Interface > Tools and Utils > Edit Grbl Profile (interface connected to BlackBox)
    - or Fix the wiring on that axis (reverse all 4 wires so 1234 becomes 4321)

Check our Wiring and Software videos for your machine, read the Grbl Wiki and work your way through docs.openbuilds.com

9. NewbCNC

NewbCNC New
    Builder

I switched the cables around which did the trick.

I guess now I'll leave a post in the limit switch section because I don't think they are working correctly as mentioned.

Thanks for the help....

10. Peter Van Der Walt

1) make sure they are wired correctly (Troubleshooting tab in CONTROL while pressing them by hand - make sure a) that they light up in Troubleshooting tab and b) that the correct axis lights up (if not you have them plugged in wrong for example X switch plugged into Z port)
    2) Make sure you enable Hard Limits

Being the reference to your other issues: Hard Limits is mentioned here: Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki - if you have not enabled limits, it won't stop...