Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Motor confusion on a new build

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mirthgiver, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Mirthgiver

Builder

Really basic question, any help would be much appreciated:

I’ve finally managed to complete the assembly of my shiny new lead 1010 from the partstore (black box, stock NEMA 23 motors, 24v power kit etc)

For some reason I can’t seem to be able to get my head around the motors. I wired them up as per the video (red to red, blue to blue etc) on both ends of each motor cable. When I go into Openbuilds CONTROL and try to jog the machine, it goes in the opposite direction. For example, if I hit “-Z” the gantry moves up rather than down. Is this how it’s supposed to be? Is there a setting in software I should be using to invert the motor?

I haven’t tried running any GCode yet, I just wanted to get the machine moving. Also: should the limit switches be engaging when the machine is being jogged? All the lights come on when I engage the limit so it seems to be working.

Sorry for the really simple question, my only real experience with CNC was on a makerspace XCarve and this is the first time I’ve ever tried to build or maintain one.[​IMG]

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

OpenBuilds CONTROL > Grbl Settings > Scroll down to $3 Direction Invert and flip any axes that are moving the wrong way round

Mirthgiver likes this.
  3. Mirthgiver

Builder

Awesome, figured it was that simple. Looking forward to trying it out