Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Modifying cut area to 4x8

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Dablo, Jan 15, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Dablo

Dablo New
    Builder

Hello,

Im fairly new to CNCs, but I like the creative power it unlocks. I'll make this short, im thinking about building a CNC machine. However, it has to be able to handle a 4x8 sheet.

Atm I've circled in two different machines that I hope are able to be modified to this handle 4x8 sheets.
    The first CNC is the Lead CNC Openbuild 1515. Would the hardware be suitable for a larger cutting area?

The second machine is sold as a blueprints/drawings for their machine. Ill attach a picture of the specs so you know a little bit more about it :)

From my limited knowledge this seems like the better machine to modify. It is built with a working area of 1220mm x 1750mm (50x70 inch-ish) so atleast I feel like its not that much of a stretch to make it 4x8. It also uses rack and pinion, which seems like the better choice when going for a larger working area.

I also feel like constructing the machine will be a great way of knowing the ins and outs of a CNC machine. I am handy, but I might be overestimating my abilities.
    [​IMG]

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The 1515 already handles 4*8 sheets. Use the Tiling feature in CAMs like Vectric to process the job in half sections. Slide the sheet through for second half. Maintain indexing with Dowel pins or guides. Super easy

3. Dablo

Dablo New
    Builder

Oh, ok, that seems pretty neat! Im mainly gonna be producing wardrobes and custom made shelfs. So basically if I wanna cut a 4x8 I cut the first half, then the second by moving the sheet?

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Dablo

Dablo New
    Builder

I found a video that shows exactly what you mean, thats super smart. I guess my problem is solved xd

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.