Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Modify Sphinx 1050 Z drive

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Steveathome, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Steveathome

Steveathome Well-Known
    Builder

I would like to change my Z drive from the offset belt drive to the direct drive like on the workbee.

I have looked and am unable to find the mounting plate that it would require in the part store.

Is this end plate available?

It looks like all the other parts are available at the part store, ie: flexible coupling, spacers, screws.

Like to get rid of the set screw on the stepper motor drive gear loosening problem.

Never had problem with the flexible couplings coming loose.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The plate you need should already be in place beneath the offset plate.

See 43:42 in the build video. Existing screws can be reused.

3. Steveathome

Steveathome Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the info, but I think I need a Z axis end mount from a workbee kit, if you can order just one plate.

The mount under the offset plate would only allow 2 screws to mount the servo, not the 4 of the workbee 1010. See 45:20 workbee build video ( )

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The plate you already have is the same as the upper Z-axis plate on the LEAD machine which will be perfectly functional.
    [​IMG]
    If you do however specifically want the four post mounting plate of the workbee check with the parts store for availability and if they can't offer it as a separate item check with @Chris Laidlaw (chrisclub1 on ebay). He has a similar part listed but you'll want to check to make sure the lead screw is properly centered for the system you have to work with.