Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Missing steps...only in X direction

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Mallardduck31, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Mallardduck31

Builder

I continue to miss steps in the X direction at random. This problem has been ongoing for about 5 weeks now. I have tried a new stepper, new wires and adjusted settings. It seems to be related to the axis speed setting. I can reproduce the problem pretty consistently if the X axis speed setting gets above 2000 however today the problem popped up with the setting at 1800 which had been working for a few weeks.

I am not sure what else to try. The weird thing is, I have run much higher settings in the past without any issues. I used the original settings of 2500 for about 3 months and then bumped them to 3500. I tested and ran for months without any issues. When the problem arose 5 weeks ago and getting some direction from the forum I slowed the axis back down and I thought I had it.

At this point I am afraid to put anything on the machine as it is just destroying wood and breaking bits.

Any help is appreciated.

Chuck

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Are there any loose grub screws on your lock collars, couplers, stepper, etc... Most of the time when people start missing steps, something is loose.

3. Mallardduck31

Builder

I have checked the screws and all are tight.

To clarify, the X axis is stalling and losing its position.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

What controller are you using? Is the x driver overheating? Are the wheels binding on the x?

5. Mallardduck31

Builder

I’m running the Blackbox and do not see that anything is binding. I have lubricated the screw with silicon and it seems to move freely.

The overheating lights do not illuminate in the Blackbox when the issue arises.

What speeds are most guys setting the Workbee 1010? I think the factory default is 2500(which I used to be able to run).

Chuck

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I usually run 2500 m/min for wood and plastic.

7. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

something on X is sticking (if it is not an electronic problem).
    as stepper motors go faster they have less torque so are less able to resist little bumps when going fast.

if you take the leadscrew off and push the carriage up and down by hand you will feel it hesitate.
    also check all the wheels for embedded swarf, and the rails for dings and dents.
    it has to be something somewhere and you have to keep looking till you find it (-:

8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

As you have driven this machine rather hard in the past, another thing to check is your nut blocks - if they are worn or slightly loose they could cause binding.
    Alex.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Just on the electronics front:
    - Acceleration values tuned appropriately - to get a stepper up to speed, a gently acceleration curve is a must. With the right acceleration you can do 5000mm/min on a TR8*2 screw with a BlackBox
    - Recheck wiring, it could have wiggled loose and the skipping coming from an intermittent loose connection, more visible during fast moves as enertia tugs on said loose connection a little more/harder

David the swarfer likes this.
  10. edward ford

Builder

I have tried everything thing in this tread and I am still having the same issues ... has anyone found that their Black box being defective? do all axis have the same drivers (wondering bc typically X axis only uses one stepper)? Ive even stopped using dust collection as I thought it was possible magnetic interference.. Ran a MPCNC for 3 years with a ramps 3d printer board with zero issues on Marlin firmware. Yes I Know BB run GRBL and I have accounted for that with the correct OB Fusion360 Post Processor. Im at a loss. I actually wanted to convert all my Mills to Balckbox control but very unsure now.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

12. edward ford

Builder

These are my current GRBL Settings

Attached Files:

13. Peter Van Der Walt

X-axis steps per millimeter is set to 26.660 - so its big 32T pulley belt drive. That's going to need lower acceleration to get up to speed (compared to smaller diameter pulleys or leadscrews)

So, X Axis acceleration set to 1000, note the Grbl default is 10 (Defaults are shown in the table near the top of Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki ) - so try lower, like 500, 200, maybe even down to 50. Get it reliable - then tweak upwards for performance

Max rate may be too fast too - dial it back to 2500 - remember G0 moves run at Max Rate regardless of what Feedrate (which only applies to G1,G2,G3) you CAM at (as per Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki)

$11=0.020 ; Junction deviation, millimeters has been changed from the Grbl default of 0.010 - don't change advanced defaults without understanding their impact - this could cause stuttering during curves and loss of position during cornering and other random issues: See Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki - trust the defaults on this one though and set it to 0.010

Lastly, as its Belt drive - and its been in use for a while - take the belt off and inspect. Broken tension lines can cause belt to stretch under load and skip a tooth. Inspect belt in hand - by stretching it segment by segment looking for a piece that moves when it shouldn't (indicating a break in the reinforcement strands behind the teeth).

upload_2022-5-24_21-58-38.png

Also recheck and double check Grub screws on the pulley

As its a workbee, make sure you still have cable ties on the belt after the Belt Clip - to prevent it slipping back and loosening: See below. If its not fitted, retension belts and add the cable tie to keep them tight

upload_2022-5-24_21-58-1.png

Lastly: Not related to your issue, just an observation:
    $24=1000.000 ; Homing locate feed rate, mm/min - Grbl default is 25 (40x slower). You want that Feed to be nice and slow to home accurately - not slam the switch to the point of damage (; - read through Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki
    $25 might be a bit fast too...

David the swarfer likes this.
  14. edward ford

Builder

Man I can't express my appreciation enough. A lot of the set points you have have observed in my GRBL settings I now realize I based them on the marlin system ive been using for some time. Ive been doing a lot of trial and error testing and found many problems. Grub screw was definitely an issue as I found it inside the extrusion bc it had come out completely. The X axis was also faulting out after one job or just simply rehoming a few time. Lowering the acceleration definitely helped for sure. but my root problem with faults ended up being the cooling fan in the black box was not running constantly. at first I thought maybe it temp driven but this morning it would not even move. Ive since replaced it and with the aforementioned firmware changes Im back up and running !! >>>Thank you again for the help!!

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Sweeeet we love happy endings!

edward ford likes this.
  16. edward ford

Builder

Im finally going the lead screw upgrade to my workbee. what are some good acceleration rates for grbl to use?
    Im using the lead screws and block from OB.

17. Peter Van Der Walt