Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Milling hangs sometimes

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by 2884, Feb 3, 2020.

1. 2884

2884 New
    Builder

Hi folks, i have an issue which is driving me mad.
    I have two types of "hangs" on my workbee:
    • sometimes, when my laptop (macbook 2015) is on power supply, the job randomly stops. Generally, i can launch it again by hittinh pause and resume.
    • often, after some random time, the milling hangs (not moving anymore, spindle ON). I hit pause and resume button, it can resume for a few seconds and then stops. If I try to mannually move, i can send 2 or three commands and then it stops working and evrything is lost, i have to stop the blackbox and start again from the beginning if i can.
    Any ideas ? For the first issue, it might be power issues on the power supply of the laptop but for the second ? It seems linked to openbuilds control (last version).
    Thank you for your answers
    Fred

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We've seen older windows PCs suffer from something like this, so odd to hear of Mac doing that:

- Are you sure you have the official FDTI drivers (Virtual COM Port Drivers ) not the built-in drivers?
    - Try CNCJS Desktop App | cncjs and see if runs better?

3. 2884

2884 New
    Builder

Thank you for the answer, i am installing everything and will have a try !

4. Peter Van Der Walt

And a very long shot, give an old version like 1.0.150 a test too OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL - let me know if it works better (might have something todo with a later version of NodeSerialport used from v1.0.152 onward)

5. Freudo

Freudo New
    Builder

Hi,
    I made some tests today. Results:
    Still hanging sometimes. I can see in the serial log that te sent command might be corrupted: it should return "OK" and I get "," or "Ak" or "1K", ... Normally, I can pause and resume
    And the controller is sometimes in the status "idle" and I am unable to restart. I have to stop, goto zero and launch from the beginning (or modify gcode to start from where it crashed). It is really bad :( I will try the old version tomorrow if I have time.
    Fred

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes if we have to battle corrupted data the queue counter will never be able to know where we are and thus pause/resume will be futile.

Corrupted data is less likely to be version related (was surprised as Mac's don't have that issue usually, so disregard that test then) lets look at the corruption instead:

1): You didn't mention, but this is quite likely the reason, so do check!
    2) try different port on machine, different USB cable, eliminate any nearby EMI sources

7. 2884

2884 New
    Builder

Yes, I have a powerline network adapter on the same plug and also an old hifi system which is not grounded, I suppressed them and I will make further tests. It seems to be happening more often when on AC adaptor than on battery.
    Thank you for your help, i keep you informed.
    Fred

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Freudo

Freudo New
    Builder

Hi !
    I had an issue with the installed driver, it was not installed properly. I installed it again and for all this afternoon, no hang appeared :) It might be the source of all my problems, i keep you informed if it happens again !
    Thank you very much for your help
    Fred

9. Freudo

Freudo New
    Builder

Well, I had one hang this afternoon, only one on almost 2 hours of working, consider its not so bad, I could resume. But still happening ;-(

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Is is still doing the data corruption like before?

11. Freudo

Freudo New
    Builder

Yes, it still happens, I used it a lot yesterday and had to throw to garbage my wood because I couldn't resume. And sometimes, it seems that the board resets, I am unable to communicate with it unless i restart it...it is driving me mad

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Are you on v1.0.237 yet?

13. Freudo

Freudo New
    Builder

Hi !
    I installed the last version and it seems to have solved the problem, it has been working for 8 hours without any issue :) I see in the release note that the serial buffer has been modified, it might be somewhere in there :)
    Thank you a lot
    Fred

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Always try to get up to date before looking for help with any issue, we test fast, and fix things faster, and being on the latest, largely gets you going