Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mechanics similar to the Dyson lamps

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by fiber0pti, Mar 3, 2022.

1. fiber0pti

fiber0pti New
    Builder

I'm trying to replicate the mechanics of a Dyson desk lamp. It's not like these other projects as it won't have any motors in it but wanted to get some input from people who have used the parts.

Lamp: https://www.dyson.com/lighting/lightcycle

What I'm thinking is to use the 2020 rail and a gantry with bearings on both sides, one for the x axis and the other side for the y axis.

I was thinking of using the V-Slot Gantry kit - 20mm, but what anyone's idea to make it a bit more compact.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The 20mm V-Slot Gantry kit is really not as big as you're thinking it to be. It's considerably smaller than the ones Dyson is using. My question is how are you going to handle the vertical lift and fixing the vertical lift. Are you just going to physically overcome gravity or are you looking into creating a counterbalance or using constant force springs?

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. fiber0pti

fiber0pti New
    Builder

I was planning to do something similar to Dyson with a counterweight attached to a 6mm timing belt with an idler at the top. Haven't worked out attaching the belt to the gantry but that shouldn't be too hard. Thinking about a custom 3d printed top cover to go over the idler.

I still need to work out the base as I want it to rotate. I've narrowed down a few lamps I'm going to remove the important pieces to attached to the rail.

If all goes well I'll probably look at recreating it but more polished.

Edit: Just ran across this build, very similar: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1QxeMdM0Yvw

#3 fiber0pti, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022