Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Meanwell Power Supply Cycling On/Off

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Ripthorn, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn New
    Builder

I recently bought a practically new OpenBuilds Workbee machine from a local guy and got it all set up today. I was running it just fine with OpenBuilds Control software, but after about 10 minutes the power supply shut down. It then started cycling where it would blip on and then turn off, over and over. I removed all load from the power supply and it does the same thing. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks!

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The power supply or the power supply fan?

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn New
    Builder

The actual power supply. The power on indicator on the rocker switch is always on, but the indicator LED's inside the power supply come on for a fraction of a second and then shut off for a few seconds. If I connect my blackbox controller to it, it briefly flashes lights on and fans moving when the LED's in the power supply come on, but then shut off because the power supply shuts off.

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Contact the parts store at http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home. Not sure how much help they can offer as this is a second hand system but that's the best starting point.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Replacement PSUs can be ordered from 24V Meanwell Power Supply Bundle

Original owner probably damaged it earlier in its life, they are very bulletproof - replacement should serve you a long time

Stop connecting your BlackBox to a suspect PSU. That is an invitation for a power surge to kill the BlackBox too

6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn New
    Builder

After some further testing, I found the issue. While I had disconnected the power connector from the blackbox for my testing, I failed to realize that the wire for the LED light ring was wired into the connector as well. I traced the wires and found that they were shorting. Upon eliminating the short, it's working as it should. Thanks!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.