Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

magnetic mount

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by woodjoiner22, Mar 4, 2021.

1. woodjoiner22

Builder

so now ive got my interface up an running i am thinking of buying a magnetic phone mount for it so i have somewhere for it to live, is the any danger of the magnet effecting the electronics inside the device i dont want to create any issues

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Go for it!

3. woodjoiner22

Builder

4. woodjoiner22

Builder

whats the operating temperature of the black box? i only ask as iam considering moving my black box inside a sound proofed encloseure and my only concern really is the temps

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It has an onboard cooling fan, so that would logically dictate the need for moving cooling air :) - don't seal it up, or you will run into: docs:blackbox:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation]

6. woodjoiner22

Builder

ok ill rethink thanks for the warning

7. BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker Well-Known
    Builder

In short, Yes.

If the magnet is a powerful one it can cause Eddie currents when placing and removing. I have been using a fairly strong magnet and a couple times now the machine stopped as if it was done running the program. Compleat with the done message and "ok" lit up. This happend when placing the interface onto the mag while the machine was running gcode. I try to be sure to place it back on the mag before running the job. I need to use a less powerful magnet ad I'm sure it will be fine.

As far as "screwing up" electronics, no it shouldn't damage anything physically.

8. woodjoiner22

Builder

well ive never run into that issue myself, one issue i did find though is i purchase a magnetic mout that came with the metal adhesive pads, i stuck one of the adhesive pads to a vertical surface and left it. The adhesion failed and my interface smashed on the floar (just some food for thought there)

9. BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker Well-Known
    Builder

be sure to clean the with alcohol, and let dry before applying the adhesive back.