Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lost Connection to Wifi - Blackbox for LEAD 1515

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Jay Giroux, May 10, 2022.

1. Jay Giroux

Builder

I've somehow lost connection to wifi on my Blackbox connected to my LEAD 1515. I did not set up the unit, so I'm very new to trouble shooting this issue. Reset everything several times, no luck.
    It's very odd, when I connect a USB, it shows a set of old files. I cleared the USB and reformatted it. Before doing so, I copies over some of the files and added them back to the USB. Connected to my Blackbox and it is still showing all the old files.
    I'm very eager to learn and would appreciate any assistance.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The BlackBox doesn't have Wifi, so are you referring to the Interface?

Are you not connected at all? (Wifi network not shown on LCD):
    1) You can forget wifi settings by going to Tools and Utils > Interface settings
    2) Then reconnect it to the network as per section 3.1 of docs:interface:start [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Or, you are just seeing Server connection errors during Update checks:
    - Update to V1.52 using method 2 or 3 of docs:interface:firmware-update [OpenBuilds Documentation]

By copying them back, you put the old files back? Or the USB drive itself has become faulty.

3. Jay Giroux

Builder

The BlackBox doesn't have Wifi, so are you referring to the Interface?
    Yes, I am referring to the interface. Not the box itself. Still learning the machine.

Are you not connected at all? (Wifi network not shown on LCD):
    1) You can forget wifi settings by going to Tools and Utils > Interface settings
    2) Then reconnect it to the network as per section 3.1 of docs:interface:start [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Or, you are just seeing Server connection errors during Update checks:
    - Update to V1.52 using method 2 or 3 of docs:interface:firmware-update [OpenBuilds Documentation]

I am seeing the connection error during update checks. The wifi icon also flashes on and off. We were connected toward the end of last week; or at least I think we were. We noticed that the machine was running a little unusual with a pulsating speed starting last night. This morning was when I began having trouble with the updates via the interface, as well as issues with the USB drive. I will try again this evening using the steps you provided.

By copying them back, you put the old files back? Or the USB drive itself has become faulty.[/QUOTE]

I thought maybe it was. I put a few old files, as well as some new ones. I also tried a different USB drive. We are going to give it another whirl this evening and hope for the best. Thankfully this forum exist and my patience has become better, ha.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Server side changes - update to V1.52 using method 2 or 3 to speak to the newer servers again

USB: Interface cannot keep/cache/remember file content - so it has to be on the drive itself

5. Jay Giroux

Builder

Thanks for the quick reply.

We are still having problems. One of my designers was able to reformat the drive and upload the file using his PC. The issue seems to be related to my Mac generated files. We were able to update the firmware on the interface, but we are still having issues with the machine cutting at an irregular pace.

We have accepted that the pain is growth and we will get through it ~ fingers crossed. Any more advice would be appreciated. We are trying to connect a PC directly to the Blackbox and we are having issues.

6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Peter is in a different time zone so I thought I might jump in here. You're mentioning a few new issues and I know Peter will need more info.

Can you describe this in detail. Video helps. Give us what you expect and what its doing. My guess is that it has something to do with cutting arcs, but wont know until you explain it.

Again, need more info. Error messages? Copy of the log? Did you load the FTDI drivers onto your pc?

7. Jay Giroux

Builder

Attached Files:

8. Jay Giroux

Builder

The video we sent is running the file from the interface. As you can see, the speed runs smooth, but the feed runs as if it wants to give up. Thanks for the quick reply!!!

9. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Ok. Its hard to tell in the video but it appears that its a bunch of arc moves. And it certainly sounds like it too. What program are you using for CAM? What post processor? Can you attach the gcode file please?

As a test, what happens if you cut a square? Or a single straight line?

David the swarfer likes this.
  10. Jay Giroux

Builder

We have determined that there is something going wrong with how the gcode is being generated on my Mac. We ran a test file generated on a PC and the machine ran great. I may have to purchase a PC just to create the gcode unless you can find a resolution in the attached file. THX

Attached Files:

11. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Yep, that's a bunch of tiny moves to make an arc. Since you're using Openbuilds CAM, you'll probably have to wait for Peter to get an answer. But from what I understand, its a web based app so it doesnt make much sense that it works on a pc and not on a mac.

12. Jay Giroux

Builder

Great, I will wait for @Peter Van Der Walt to respond.

13. Jay Giroux

Builder

Also, it may be an issue that I am creating the SVG's in Adobe Illustrator. We are about to test a file that was imported into CAD and exported as an SVG. I feel like we are getting somewhere and I didn't even have to use poor language toward the machine.

sharmstr likes this.
  14. Peter Van Der Walt

For more advanced CAD files, you may need a more advanced CAM than the entry level OpenBuildsCAM: docs:software:overview [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    SVGs can result in very tiny moves causing buffer underrun issues - if the line segments are too short.

OpenBuildsCAM runs in the browser - OS agnostic - would work the same on any OS. Your file you loaded / toolpath parameters may just have been different creating the illusion of a difference

15. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

No, you do not need a PC (-:
    Mac uses a single LineFeed character at the end of each line
    PC uses a CarriageReturn and LineFeed character at the end of each line. Seems Interface wants this format.

So you only need to tell your CAM/postprocessor to output the 2 char line endings instead of the single char line end.
    Or use a utility to resave the gcode file with PC line endings.
    I know Notepad++ on my PC can do it, and I know the command line utils 'flip' and 'unix2dos' can do it across many platforms.

16. Jay Giroux

Builder

Very helpful! I will test this over the weekend. We have been able to run the files fine from provided that the SVG was exported from CAD.

17. Jay Giroux

Builder

Thanks! I will investigate this further. I've never done this type of reformatting. Thank the universe for YouTube.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, depends on the SVG itself - too fine details, too short line segments - splines/arcs/etc not converted to polylines/paths - all affect performance