Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

losing limit switches

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by darrepac, Jun 3, 2020.

1. darrepac

darrepac New
    Builder

Hi

I played some hours with my new LEAD CNC machine. I have set the steps/mm etc
    Everything was working fine even if I had the machine going out of limit due to phone jog dial some times.
    Limit switches were working ok (both virtualy by testing them by hands and in real world with the machine touching them)

It arrives the moment when I wanted to do a "home all" and it crashes on the Z axis... takes me 1 or 2 other crashes to realize that the limit switches were not working properly: none of them were detected in Control SW.
    I checked the settings (limit switches are activated), I restarted several times the blackbox (on/off) and the Control SW but limit switches are no more detected. Obviously I checked the wiring but in any case it could have make one to fail not all of them...

What can I look at or do?

thanks

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1) use the troubleshooting tab to see if they are detected (turn red when pressed, green when you let go of the switch)
    2) most likely still wiring, compare them to docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox - which type do you have? Xtension Limits or the older Micro Limits?
    3) post some pics of the wiring on both ends if you'd like us to take a look

3. darrepac

darrepac New
    Builder

1/ yes it is the page I have used to check it
    2/ they have worked during some hours so cannot be wiring (I have Xtension limits)

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Please post your grbl settings:
    (Serial console: Send "$$", copy paste output from serial log)

5. darrepac

darrepac New
    Builder

ok while trying to send the $$, my (too old?) laptop was not really responding.
    I opened task manager and realized that there were 4 instance of openbuildsCONTROL.exe running.
    I was not able to close OpenbuildsCONTROL and decided to kill all from task manager (I thought there was something weird).

Then I launched CONTROL and realized that it creates 4 instances (so that's a normal behaviour I guess).
    In the process limit switches were working back to ok (troubleshooting page) but I lost completely my settings (Z axe was going reverse etc)
    I had saved my settings thanks to "backup settings" but I do not see how to load back the settings previously saved??

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Paste them in gcode editor, run it as a job
    Just make sure its in grbl command config format: gnea/grbl

for example

Code:
    $1=xxx
    $1=xxx
    $2=xxx...

7. darrepac

darrepac New