Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Looking for assistance with Vcarve pro and IOT relay

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Darkfader, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Darkfader

Darkfader New
    Builder

I have read the post processor editing doc, but I am unsure of myself and don't want to mess anything up. If someone could explain this to me like I am a complete idiot, I would greatly appreciate it. I've never edited G-code before and this is intimidating.

I'm using an OpenBuilds Lead 1515, BlackBox, and Touch Interface. I just purchased an IOT relay outlet and want to use it to power on the Dewalt 611 router when I run the job, and then power off when the job is complete.

My workflow is generally, do my design work and generate toolpaths in VCarve Pro, then save to a thumb drive and run jobs directly from the Touch Interface so that my computer is not in the workshop at all.
    When I went into the Post Processor Management section in Vectric, I see this:

begin HEADER
    "T1"
    "G17"
    "G21"
    "G90"
    "G0[ZH]"
    "G0[XH][YH]"
    +---------------------------------------------------
    + Command output after the header to switch spindle on
    begin SPINDLE_ON
    "M3 [ S ]"
    "G4 P1.8"
    + Commands output for rapid moves

**I added spaces between the brackets and the S after M3 above because it was causing a strikethrough to the rest of the post. I don't know why that was happening.
    Then at the bottom is this:

+ Commands output at the end of the file
    begin FOOTER
    "M5"
    "G0[ZH]"
    "G0[XH][YH]"
    "M2"

I've read that I need "M3S1000" in the header. Do I remove the brackets or do they stay? "M5" is already in the footer, so is that all I need? It's also stated that a copy needs to be made and I saw others state that the file needs to be saved as a text file versus a pp file and I am just lost as to how to set this up. Basically no clue what I'm doing here and the more I read the worse it gets.

I've also read it's not good to run the shop vac and the router off the same IOT. If this is accurate, do I run signal wires from the same connections on the black box to two separate IOT's?

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

#1 Darkfader, Oct 20, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You dont need to edit the post processor. Just make the blackbox to IOT connection per the directions. docs:blackbox:connect-dewalt-iotrelay [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Plug your router and the vac into the normally off outlets. Make sure your router and vac power switches are turned on. I've run a dewalt and a vac off a 15amp circuit but felt better when it was on a 20amp circuit.

vcarve will always put an M3 (on) and a M5 (off) command in your gcode files. In fact, you can see them in the post processor info you posted :)

Giarc likes this.
  3. Darkfader

Darkfader New
    Builder

Awesome. Thank you kindly.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

sharmstr likes this.