Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Looking for advice and help on 6 axis machine (uccnc probably)

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Matt Dartford, Jun 23, 2023.

1. Matt Dartford

Builder

Hey all,

I run a couple of c02 lasers and have a basic knowledge of CNCs, but as you'll find out if you keep reading it's not particularly in-depth knowledge of CNCs! But anyway...

Im considering buying a Workbee or open builds CNC. But I need something that can control 6 axis as I wish to add an oscillating tangential Knife unit. The model that I'm looking at is the Stepcraft model (link below). It has two additional stepper motors (one deals with oscillation and the other with rotation I believe)

According to the manual, the tangential knife unit can be fitted to other CNCs but it needs UCCNC to run as UCCNC has options for tangential Knifes units.

It's my understanding that the knife unit combined with the standard CNC will have a total of 5 stepper motors, so the controller needs to cover that.

that's the background. My question is two-fold

Which controller would you recommend? and...

The knife unit is connected via a D-Sub-15 connection cable - What would I need to buy to allow this cable to connect to the controller? I've not seen any controllers with a 15-pin connection.

The knife unit
    https://shop.stepcraft-systems.com/Osci ... d-M-Series

the manual
    https://www.stepcraft-systems.com/image ... K-3-v1.pdf

For those interested as to why I wish to buy an oscillating knife rather than a drag knife - simply because I want better control over tight angles and depth of cut. This will be cutting simple foam board (not taxing), at a depth of 5mm -10mm. And I need crisp, tight angles and a perfectly clean cut. We did try the laser but the results were pretty terrible, not to mention toxic.