Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Longest x axis

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Guss, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Terr

Terr New
    Builder

I just bought 4*2 = 8 meters of SBR16UU rail. I will run into the same issue. My rail is bare. I need to add the lead screw and for now the Tr8*8

Down the track: ball screw.

There are motors out of China which I can import which are hollow shaft. (I am in Calgary & my company is an importer/exporter)

...Terr

2. Terr

Terr New
    Builder

I think I know a way to accomplish very long axis drivers.

1) hollow shaft motor. Problem is picking up the thrust. I know a manufacturer in China & I can bring them in.

2) use the motor to rotate a nut. The nut then carries the thrust bearing. This should be pretty easy to do. Then the lead screw ends up stationary and can be placed under tension.

In my case the X0 axis is 6 meters. Offset (Y-axis) is arbitrary. Parallel is the X1 axis which in my case is 2 meters. I don't need 2 meters. 1 meter is fine so I will simply use a standard 1050 mm lead screw drive.

I need to find a way to mount on an SBR16UU rail instead of V-Slot. If I can't find it I will make it. I have run a lathe. A mill should not be hard to learn.

By doing this I can put TWO (2) router tables side by side. Likely I will want this.

So: hollow shaft -or- rotating nut on a fixed lead screw & this provides 1 or more routers side by side. Cheap. Simply add another motor and Y-axis.

------ what if we want say 6 meters? ------

3) Airplane cable.

Here is the problem: each rotation of the drive spool will cause an offset equal to the diameter of the cable.

This causes a *REAL PROBLEM*. The solution is to put the drive motor on a slide. So a small secondary motor is required to slide the main motor left & right. Else it's a gearing problem.

Since the airplane cable cannot slip on the pickup/feed spools the accuracy should match the 1050 mm lead screw over the full 6 meters.

Furthermore it should be reasonably cheap because we don't need the lead screw any more.

Protospace is available to me here in Calgary. I figure there just might be interest. A NEMA 17 or smaller on a SBR8UU rail system should work.

Comments?