Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Limit switches not working

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by John Raney, Mar 2, 2021.

1. John Raney

Builder

I have Extension limit switches. I have BB and Interface. I am running 1.47 firmware and 1.290 Control S/W. My motors are all going in the correct direction. My expectation is when Interface activates a motor going in a particular direction i can stop it by manually pressing the corresponding limit switch. The led lights red but the motor will not stop. I have not run a homing since i don't think the LS are connected some how. Can you help? Thanks John

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Only if you have Hard Limits turned on: See gnea/grbl
    Use the troubleshooting tab in CONTROL to test the switches, make sure they are all correctly detected, then enable Hard Limits

PS: Do read the entire Grbl Wiki - it is a goldmine of information, and a solid overview of Grbl will greatly help with the learning curves. Good bed-time read: gnea/grbl (all pages, even the ones that seem irrelevant has information you can benefit from)

3. John Raney

Builder

Thanks Peter, I will give it a read. Probably tomorrow today is chock a block. I will figure out how to turn hard limits on.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

On the Interface: Tools and Util > Edit GRBL Profile > Scroll down to Hard Limits, press OK to set to ON. Press cancel to return

or

CONTROL > Grbl Settings tab > Scroll down to $21 Hard Limits, and select Enable:

upload_2021-3-2_18-25-34.png

5. John Raney

Builder

Peter I cheated and found hard limits accessible on the Interface. Activated it. Works!!! Great!! Now at least for now I think all is working on my machine. Now to do some dress up and give it a run. I will tell you how it works out!! Thanks for the help and yes I will read Grbl. John