Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Limit Switch Triggering Blackbox Reset?

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Mikey V, Sep 22, 2024.

1. Mikey V

Mikey V New
    Builder

Hello,

I am debugging some Xtension limit switches on a custom project build with the X32 black-box. In this thread (message #10) it mentions that the log "[ ] GrblHAL 1.1f ['$' or '$HELP' for help]" is indicative of a reset of the board.

I'm having a similar issue to the poster in that thread where my Xtension limit switch is triggering that log every time.Does this mean there is an issue with my setup? I get this behavior even when I have only one limit switch attached (no motors, nothing else besides the limit switch) with the limit switch not even attached to the machine and triggering by hand. I've checked the wiring is correct. Anything else I should be looking for?

[16:07:54] [ ALARM ] ALARM: 1 - Hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to sudden and immediate halt. Re-homing is highly recommended. [ undefined ]
    [16:07:54] [ ] ALARM: 1 - Hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to sudden and immediate halt. Re-homing is highly recommended. [ undefined ]
    [16:07:54] [ ] ALARM:1
    [16:07:54] [ ] [MSG:Reset to continue]
    [16:07:54] [ ] GrblHAL 1.1f ['$' or '$HELP' for help]
    [16:07:54] [ ] [MSG:'$H'|'$X' to unlock]
    [16:08:00] [ [clear alarm] ] Operator clicked Clear Alarm: Cleared Lockout and Emptied Queue
    [16:08:00] [ ] GrblHAL 1.1f ['$' or '$HELP' for help]
    [16:08:00] [ ] [MSG:'$H'|'$X' to unlock]
    [16:08:00] [ ] [MSG:Caution: Unlocked]
    [16:08:00] [ ] ok

Attached Files:

2. Mikey V

Mikey V New
    Builder

I should add the behavior that I originally trying to debug was inconsistent triggering of the limit switch when manually jogging the machine into it to test that the limit switch was working.

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

it is possible to mount the limit sqwitch upside down causing a short between the power and the frame of the machine, which will cause a reset when triggered.
    So, make sure that no metal area on the switch ciricuit board is contacting the frame

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Was there any earlier mis wiring events? While it appears correctly wired now, if there was any mistakes best to disclose.

Next up: try different switches on different ports. See if it's one specific switch or port.

5. Mikey V

Mikey V New
    Builder

I haven't changed any of the wiring connections so I think it's been correct the whole time. I just tried the two limit switches in each port (x,y,&,z limit switch ports) on the x32 with the same behavior across all cases.

Anything else I can check?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Full Grbl Settings backup for review please (CONTROL > GRBL SETTINGS TAB > BACKUP SETTINGS ON THE MAIN TOOLBAR)

7. Mikey V

Mikey V New
    Builder

Setting doc attached, thank you!

Attached Files:

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Ok looks correct, please contact the store via Support > New ticket. Include a link to this thread and mention I sent you. Let the store send out a replacement BlackBox for you :)