Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Limit Switch not working at all

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by jltcet, Nov 18, 2023.

Tags:
  1. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

First off thank you for everyone who’s gotten this far. I’ve installed limit switches on both Y- Y+, X- X+, and Z+ first I wired them each to there own positive negative pins on cnc shield (NOTHING) I put capacitors in line (NOTHING) I set the 5$. To 1 (NOTHING) I’ve tried wiring in series (NOTHING) Tried homing all it does is throw alarms using shielded cables with 47uf capacitors nothing will trip the switches I’m about to give up on limit switches but really looking for some help please I’ve included a picture of the limits switches I purchased

Attached Files:

2. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

O and I’ve tried AO and AC nothing is working

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Chinese fake (wrong/old pinout) or proper CNC Shield bought from the official supplier (Protoneer) along with a Genuine UNO?

The fakes have the wrong pinout... Its from the very very old Grbl 0.8 days

4. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

My CnC sheild says Protoneer V 3.0 on it But guessing that can be faked also

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Afraid so - that is likely to be a fake.

Alex.

6. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Well I feel stupid, this morning was looking at the wiring for the limit switches and notice used the incorrect capacitors they were not letting the signal go though took them out re-hooked up checked the continuity everything was working correctly, threw the switch in OpenBuilds alarm came on but was able to reset the trigger in OB this time and it stayed off, going to give it a try and see if I can trigger them while it’s in motion
    I’ll let ya know what happens

7. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Well they kind of work. I can trigger a switch. Reset the system trigger another, so it seams to be working. But when I activate the soft limits it triggers in the middle of the run. Nowhere near the switches. But only which the soft limits activate, any ideas

8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Have you set your $130,131 & 132 settings correctly for the max travel on each axis.

Alex.

9. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Sad to say no,I've read so much on OB form it’s quite overwhelming sometimes. But I’m finding building was much easier then programming for me at least, this will be my next step getting to axis’s programmed. Thanks for information

10. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I have no idea what your schematic looks like or what values are the component you use are but I know that I have capacitors on the limit switches and they do not hinder the signal to go through regardless of their value. They only hinder if the capacitors are connected incorrectly. Failure to use capacitors may cause the limit switches to trigger prematurely do to IMF.

11. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Probably did hook them up incorrectly, Im as green as green gets Building it was one thing, getting it programed correctly will be another, and its been frustrating to say the least. But you all ahve giving great pointers and suggestions, Getting me pointed in the right direction,

Thank you all

12. Peter Van Der Walt

13. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

I wish I could but it spendy and I have all these drivers DN556 I wish I would have found this site before I bought everything but during my research OpenBuils never came up until I did a forums request on CNC router issue in google search (maybe someday) Thank you

14. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Another question Could I use my Nemia 23 stepper motors I already have if I build a machine from like V-Slots If a can utilize some of the gear I already purchased maybe I can build a much stable working system in the near future

15. Peter Van Der Walt

NEMA23 just tells us where the mounting screws / face dimensions are.

What matters is the electrical specs

Voltage: 3-6v ideally - higher will be slow on acceleration
    Inductance: 1-2mH - higher will limit top speed
    Current: 1.7A - 3.2A Max ideally - higher will limit torque

16. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

I feel really stupid when I type questions so bare with me please, most of the information I've gathered from building this CNC was a copy and paste you might say. But these are the motors I have

Nema 23 CNC Stepper Motor 3A 178.5oz.in 1.2Nm 57HS56 CNC Stepping Motor DIY CNC Milling Engraving Machine (178.5oz.in-1.2Nm).

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Check if theres any longer model numbers on a sticker on the motor itself

18. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

The One is from my duel Y drives, and single X drives. The other is my Z drive as you can see

Attached Files:

19. Peter Van Der Walt

So quick google on the 57hs56-3004a08-d21

Voltage (3) is good, will accelerate nicely
    Current (4) is good too, BlackBox will do fine with this one
    Inductance (6) is a little on the high end - will be a little lower on top speed than our motors. But as you already have them, I would say use them. Just keep in mind you may need to drop Max Rate on these about 10-15% from our profile defaults

upload_2023-11-20_23-21-54.png

Attached Files:

20. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you for all your input I’ll most likely rebuild it in sed V-Slot rails I’ll just have to buy parts as I can then go from there. (wife will kill me ) Thank you again but I’ll have to keep messing with my DYI for now

21. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Peter I tried asking you a question in conversation but it wouldn't let me so Ill ask here

Looking at the V-Slot Linear rails there very log for my application. First off the main reason I built a CNC router id to eventually make guitar body's some day after I get better at it. Right now I do it th by hand. And a year ago a put a router threw my wrist, was bad. But anyways back to my question can the V & C slot rails be cut to size

22. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

The vslot rails and Cream are easy to cut with a chop saw. Just make sure your blade is square with the fence. Or you can reach out to the Openbuilds parts store and they will do custom lengths. Contact Us

jltcet likes this.
  23. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

O that’s nice very cool thanks

24. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Have a question when Im setting up my $130, $131, $132 I watched a video on Youtube on how to do it seams easy enough. But my question is before you start do you want to zero your axes before starting that way when you jog the machine from the right rear corner to the front L corner and get your - setting numbers would that be correct? Not sure it makes sense

Thank you

25. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If you home your machine, jog to the far end of an axis and check the MACHINE co-ordinate at that point the numerical value is your maximum dimension for that axis. Ignore the fact that it is probably negative, just use the number and put it in to the $ setting for that axis.

Alex.

jltcet likes this.
  26. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok I just purchased the black box just can’t seam to get those DM556 drivers to work correctly no matter what I do. Couldn’t pass up the Black Friday coupon. Just hope it’s worth it

27. Andre Dethioux

Builder

Some useful comments here, thanks. Absolute noob here.

28. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

The Blackbox has its own internal drivers. Are you trying to hook external (DM556) drivers to it? The extrenal drivers are unnecessary. Just hook up your stepper motors according to the documents. docs:blackbox-x32:start [OpenBuilds Documentation]

29. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

No I purchased the black box because I was having nothing but issues with the DM556 drivers getting them fined tuned, and it just showed up today, can’t wait till Friday to hook it up

David the swarfer and Giarc like this.
  30. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I have one sitting in a box waiting for me to build a machine for it. I was thinking it would be a good match with an upgraded K40 CO2 laser.

jltcet likes this.