Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Limit switch alerts trigger twice?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by JohnnyWing, Feb 4, 2022.

1. JohnnyWing

Builder

New 1515 build here. Everything appears to be running fine but every time I hit a limit switch (Copperpour Xtension Limit Switch Kit), I must clear the alert, back off a step, then clear the alert again - because it's still deep enough into the switch to trigger.

Is this expected behavior? I imagine that it would trigger quickly enough so that it would only need one back off.

While on the limits topic, I'm initially inclined to add another set of switches to the opposite end of the axes. Is this overkill, or a great safety backup for merely another $20?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Ordinarilly no, it should not trigger twice. However if it hit particularly hard it might. If it happens really everytime - it would be a bit odd and may need to play with switch mounting location to avoid it a little
    Also make sure its not false triggers (docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation])

I'd say worth it

JohnnyWing likes this.
  3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Read all of this
    Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki
    then change the appropriate settings to enable soft limits.
    Soft limits tell the machine 'if user or code tries to move beyond 'limit switch' or \limitswitch - length of travel' then stop.
    so no need for the extra switches.

To clear the switch after a hit, increase your jog step distance so it clears the first time (-: