Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lightburn V 1.3.01 and Black Box X32

Discussion in 'Other Software' started by njload, Jan 4, 2023.

1. njload

njload New
    Builder

Using Jtech 4.2w laser and everything is connected per instructions GRBL v1.1f all settings are set to use laser but in the LightBurn software the "Fire Button" does not fire the laser and it is enabled in the software device settings. Power % doesn't make a difference. When the fire button is clicked on, the tool light on the Blackbox lights but doesn't fire the laser. I can run a laser file and it works, just no fire button for setting up the job. I see a newer version of GRBL 1.1h and was wondering if I should update to that?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Look at the PWM LED (the laser is wired to PWM - not Tool Enable - so the Tool LED is not related)

Check your Grbl settings (post a backup) and LightBurn setup docs:software:lightburn [OpenBuilds Documentation]

X32 runs grblHAL GitHub - grblHAL/ESP32: grblHAL driver for ESP32 which is even newer than that. It "pretends" to be grbl 1.1 so existing applications can work (compatibility mode)

3. njload

njload New
    Builder

Will do when I get time.

Thanks

4. njload

njload New
    Builder

Laser is wired to the PWM terminal but the Tool On LED lights up when the fire button in light burn is pressed. Attached is my backup GRBL file for your review.

Just ran a test file and the TOOL PWM LED lights up when running a file and also the TOOL ON LED is also lit up. For some reason its just the Fire Button that does not work and that is useful for setting up the job.

Thanks

Attached Files:

#4 njload, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

PWM should light up too, when grblHAL receives the correct command (unless you are testing at like 1-5% that is very dim you'll barely see the LED)

Try test with CONTROL > Tool On menu too just as a sanity check (Keeping in mind that lower power levels, will also have dimmer PWM led - turn laser diode's power off and test 100% for example to check)

grbl Settings looks OK

6. njload

njload New
    Builder

PWM LED does light up fine when running a laser job but when not running a job and just hitting the Fire Laser button the Tool On LED comes on but the laser does not Fire to align work piece.

Not sure what you are asking above to test? I don't think I can run Control and LightBurn at the same time.

#6 njload, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I believe what he wants you to do is not use LightBurn at all for a quick test of the laser through OpenBuilds Control. This may help determine where the problem is and if it is specific to Lightburn or if it carries over to another software like Control. .

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Exactly, i think Lightburn might not be sending the right commands, and once confirmed we'll send you over to their Forums. As it works with Jobs the wiring, controller, laser seems fine, and it feels more like a bug in their Fire button's code

njload likes this.
  9. njload

njload New
    Builder

Ok using Control software Tool ON and selecting laser and 25% power the laser works. The Tool ON LED and PWM LED also light up.
    I already have crossed posted this topic in the Lightburn forum.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Confirmed then, its something Lightburn related.

11. njload

njload New
    Builder

Yes is seems to be.
    Thanks for all your input and learning experience.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

M3/4 lights up Tool On - but no need to mention it. Thats used as a Tool Enable (Think Spindle running off an IoT relay) - not related to lasers so can be ignored - it will be on regardless of the S value - its just an Enable/Disable

M3 Sxxxx where xxxx lies between $31 and $30's values, outputs a PWM signal (With laser mode enabled - it also needs a Move - but if you use CONTROL's tool On we send the proper commands to make that happen without a move by faking a move by toggling G1 modal with a feedrate) which is what Lasers want.

13. Peter Van Der Walt

You are 100% sure you setup light burn to use the Grbl (v1.1) method? Old Grbl (0.8/0.9) just used M3 (would light up Tool Enable, no PWM)?

See docs:software:lightburn [OpenBuilds Documentation] again, and make sure to select the right one on step 2.1 (not Grbl-M3 lower down the list)

[​IMG]

njload likes this.
  14. njload

njload New
    Builder

Yes that is what I used 100%

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  15. njload

njload New
    Builder

Here are some screen shots I sent to Lightburn Forum.
    going to be away from shop for a while but will check back in later.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Console with Fire Button does the same G1 trick we do, so it is interesting. 2.5 of 255 = 1% though, it might be too low to initiate the laser diode (some has a little blank spot near the bottom range)

17. njload

njload New
    Builder

OK hashing things out with the Lightburn Forum and we came up with my old controller $30 was 255 and Blackbox should be 1000 so I changed the values and the Fire button does work but even at 20% power in Lightburn software it's difficult to see. My overhead shop light was off when I discovered the fire button was working. All is good I guess.
    Thanks for all the great info.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Doesn't really matter, but whatever you have $30 set to, should match what you tell Lightburn you used as Max too (So it all lines up)

upload_2023-1-5_23-2-35.png

That was what I was mentioning earlier about 1% being very dim, but I would expect 20% to be brighter

Screenshot "Console with Fire Button" showed Lightburn sending S2.5

When you say you are sending 20%, if S-Max is 1000 then 20% should send that line with an S200 - does it according to the log?

Does 20% in CONTROL's Tool On and 20% in Lightburn both look the same? (Check CONTROLs log too, we would send S200 if $30 is set to 1000 - we read the max from Grbl Settings and adjust the menu automatically)

#18 Peter Van Der Walt, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  19. njload

njload New
    Builder

25% in control software is much brighter than 20% in Lightburn. I'm sorry but I don't know the process for checking any logs in either of the software programs.

20. Peter Van Der Walt

You posted a Lightburn log earlier (Pay attention to the S value - if Max =1000, then 20% should be sending S200)
    upload_2023-1-5_23-26-26.png
    For CONTROL you'll find the same on the Serial Terminal tab

upload_2023-1-5_23-31-50.png

21. njload

njload New
    Builder

Ok, Control Software [m3 s250]
    Lightburn Software [m3 G1 F100 S200]

Also interesting, after using Control Software, Lightburn will not make a connection unless I restart my computer, maybe I'm not waiting long enough for the port to open, don't know.

22. Peter Van Der Walt

Remember to DISCONNECT in CONTROL? Don't remember if Lightburn has a Connect button, otherwise may need a restart of the application

Then Lightburn is sending the right command, S200 is 20% of Max=S1000
    If 25% is massively brighter -the laser module itself may not be as linear as some of the better ones

23. njload

njload New
    Builder

Yes did hit disconnect in Control software and Lightburn to my knowledge doesn't have a connect button, it must connect on start up. I'll experiment with that more.
    Thanks again for all your time spent on this post, I really like Control and the black box. great stuff.