Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

libappindicator3-1

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Jay Lytle, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle New
    Builder

it appears that debian bullseye no longer supports libappindicator3-1. any thoughts on a work around? i've found an article on a possible fix that indicates libayatana-appindicator is a suitable replacement, and i suppose you have to ln that to libappindicator3-1.

thank you!!!

2. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle New
    Builder

well, further research indicates that the .deb package has to be updated to reflect the new name libayatana-appindicator3-1 instead of the old name of libappindicator3-1. not sure exactly how to do that since i can't get it installed in the first place.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

4. Jay Lytle

Jay Lytle New
    Builder

makes sense. my fix will be trying one step back on the debian since, as you correctly stated, it appeared once people upgraded to bullseye. apparently folks aren't happy about how it was handled. they could have just installed a fake library that did nothing more than redirect it to the new version for a couple of iterations, and then removed it once older software had time to update. to me, that would have made a much smoother transition, rather than just arbitrarily deciding, without warning to drop it completely.

thank you for the info. this is more of an experiment. i'm working out having a backup solution in case my interface craters for any reason, i can still run my machine, with a low end computer cheaply. since i'm starting a side business, i want to have as many redundancies as i can to keep up and running as much as possible.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

:) You are correct, Linux maintaners shouldn't make life difficult for developers like this.

Older version will be fine yes.

6. JohnOCFII

JohnOCFII New
    Builder

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.