Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lead Machine vs Workbee?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Batcrave, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Two points here. You should be able to get a fairly good idea on what's possible from a number of other systems. A 1000mm gantry is a 1000mm gantry no matter which type of system (workbee, sphinx, etc.) it is on, torsional rotation will be the same unless there is some other aspect affecting it. It's really just a case of combing through the build section looking for usable combinations. As far as OpenBuilds itself testing heavier 3rd party spindles, I really don't expect they do. It's more likely they test and hone their systems based strictly on the parts (i.e. routers) they sell.

2. Batcrave

Batcrave Journeyman
    Builder

True... which I think is what I meant to say somewhere in there (but almost certainly didn't), since that's exactly why I've been trying to judge based on people who've either used the similar Workbee, or have generally had enough experience with Openbuilds & similar extrusions to know how they behave. (err, not to talk about you like you & Gray aren't standing right in front of me - you've both been extremely helpful along the way)

I've spent a lot of time browsing the builds section over the past few years (which is awesome and a large part of why I ended up here in the first place), but the sheer openness of Openbuilds' builds section (of builds. that are open) can sometimes make it frustrating when you're looking for specific solutions. While it's easy enough to skim through and find builds that look like they were designed to address a given problem, it often takes a fair bit more digging to determine which have ever actually been built, or how successful those aspects turned out to be. There are lots of beefed up builds, but selecting (or compensating for) spindle weight definitely falls into that awkward category, so I've had a much easier time searching the forums for discussions of it. I'm also noticing a surprising number of threads asking similar questions without finding answers, but I've still got a lot of history yet to read, info left to coalate, and sleep-inducing turkey left to digest. I suspect that latter has now pretty much killed my research for the night.

That was pretty much my assumption. I'd be a little surprised* to hear that they did test with anything much heavier than a trim router, since that is what they explicitly sell and support, and that (or at least something in the same weight class as that) is what the majority of their customers are going to gravitate towards...

...But then you get those pain-in-the-bat outliers like us who want to be special and different, and yet still expect someone to be hanging around the forums just to answer all their special and different edge case (headcase?) questions. Because... well... because apparently you can and do answer most of those questions, which, really, is pretty cool.

So... thanks for everything, and I'm overdue to pass out and recover from all this family holidaying. Happy American Gluttonously-Devouring-The-Proposed-National-Bird Day, and Conspicuous-Consumerism-In-Preparation-For-That-Snow-Related-Holiday Day, to everyone who may or may not celebrate either one.

-Bats

[*] only a little surprised, though. they seem like curious people who probably play with all sorts of nifty unsupported non-producty things when they think no one's watching.

Rick 2.0 and GrayUK like this.
  3. Michael Pitfield

Builder

Nothing like resurrecting on an old thread! Did you ever find an appropriate spindle? If so pics ad part numbers are my friend.