Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

LEAD CNC, V-Wheel Adjustment

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by MikeInMA, Jan 23, 2021.

1. MikeInMA

MikeInMA New
    Builder

When adjusting the pre-load on the v-wheels, I am tightening them so that I can turn them with a little effort with two fingers -- does this sound like a reasonable amount of pre-load ?

Some of the wheels are slightly tighter / looser than others, due to tolerances I assume, hopefully this will get better as the wheels wear in on the beam. Right now one of the wheels in a pair might be looser than the other one on the same bolt -- which brings me to my next question:

So on the same pair of wheels ( e.g. left and right wheel on the Y axis that share a common M5 bolt ) there are two eccentrics. Is it okay to adjust one eccentric slightly differently than the other eccentric, or do they have to be in the same rotation to prevent bending of the bolt ?

Thanks for the help!

Mike

2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Both eccentrics should be rotated in the same direction so you don't introduce excessive misalignment in the bolt, but one wheel may well need more turn than the other, in fact, it's inevitable. Just get them as good as you can and you should be fine - don't dwell on it too much unless you have a serious problem.

MikeInMA likes this.