Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lead 1515 Vacuum Table

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by crash5050, Feb 20, 2023.

1. crash5050

crash5050 New
    Builder

Has anyone tried to set up a vacuum table on the Lead 1515 Machine? I was just sitting here pondering the question and I could not find any information.

If one did cut out a single MDF board with the channels and such, do you think a shop vac would have enough suction to do a decent job holding down?

Secondly, I have been seeing a lot of folks that have 1/4 20 screw inserts embedded in the spoil boards for hold downs. Anyone have any good references on how to set that up on a 1515?

Crash

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Shop Vacs create low pressure by moving high volumes of air but that low pressure is by no means the level of suction required for a vacuum table. They also need to continually move those high volumes of air to cool the motor. I'm sure you've heard the motor strain when you plug the end of the hose and if you leave it straining like that for extended periods while you perform your CNC cuts you'll burn the motor up in no time.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Yes, a shop vac will appear to hold down a sheet of material but lateral forces from the cutting bit will compromise it. A proper vacuum pump is the answer.

4. Brian Slee

Brian Slee Well-Known
    Builder

I tried the inserts and found that a better solution for light holding jobs was to use 1/4 20 nuts friction fit into the back side of the board. Here is a drawing for a small one I made that worked well. Haven't done anything as big as a 1515 but maybe you could copy and paste a few of these to scale it up or just use it for reference.
    SUNP0019.JPG
    cheers

Attached Files:

#4 Brian Slee, Feb 21, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  5. crash5050

crash5050 New
    Builder

I have seen a couple of other machines like the X-carve and the Shapeoko that have those inserts. I actually thought about trying that.

I wonder what the minimum Mpa that would be necessary to effectively use as a vacuum hold own would be?

Just threw this together in aspire for the 1/4 20 hold downs.

Crash

Attached Files:

#5 crash5050, Feb 23, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  6. Stwspoon

Stwspoon New
    Builder

I have been using masking tape and superglue and have been impressed at how well it holds on my C-Beam Machine even during crashes. My only hold failure was cutting aluminum with a dull bit that chip welded and heated up the part enough that the water based coolant was steaming and the masking tape adhesive softened and the part shifted. To remove the part afterwards, I pull up steadily on a corner and the masking tape releases from the MDF spoiler

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

One of our favorite methods too:

Grid of holes just somehow always ends up a hole just a little bit too far from where you need it :)

8. crash5050

crash5050 New
    Builder

I am so torn, to drill, to tape or to vacuum. I think I am going to drill and tape... Vacuum systems cost twice what my Lead 1515 cost. CA Glue is relatively cheap. And as I have the second Z axis, I will be making a of of smaller parts, so vacuum might not be the answer anyway.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

A bag of tricks - options for different jobs - is going to be way more valuable than one expensive setup.
    Every day, every job is just a little different

David the swarfer likes this.
  10. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

April just put out a video showing some jigs they use for production, it's a good watch

11. Banjopete

Banjopete New
    Builder

I haven't tried a vacuum table but have tried many other hold downs, and I've reverted back to mostly ca glue and tape, and screws into my spoilboard. Always where I need them, and no fuss needed when replacing a spoilboard.

Rick 2.0 likes this.