Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lead 1515 design rationale: XY limit switch position

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Pat Heppner, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Pat Heppner

Builder

Building my fully loaded Lead 1515 and I'm curious of the design decisions behind the XY limit switch position. The grbl wiki suggests that the standard position for limit switches is far +x, +y, +z (right, back, up) with homing search $23=0.
    Following the Lead build video, the x & y switches are placed to detect front & left (& I assume $23=3, but have not yet actually plugged everything together & turned on my blackbox).
    The only one I can think of is that it is convenient for workflow. After homing, the tool is already near the most likely WCS zero position, ready to insert a cutter &/or run a probe operation.
    I'm sure there are more good reasons for this choice, just wondering if those much smarter/more experienced that me can provide the answer?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Correct. No technical reason, other than convenience. Most jobs happen front-left. Homing to the back often entails waiting for it to move all the the way back there, and then waiting for it to come back all the way to most-used origin

You can however also place them at axis maxims if you wish, as long as you tell Grbl where they are :)

The only critical one is Z (home up and away from stock/clamps)

3. Pat Heppner

Builder

Thanks for confirming my thoughts Peter.

My previous experience with an Ox & TinyG worked fine homing to the back & then moving forward to set work zero was fine because the smaller footprint didn't take long to move around. This machine is bigger, so I'll run with switches at the front.