Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lead 1010 ?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Achtepa, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Achtepa

Achtepa New
    Builder

Hi guys,

Just joined the forum, currently planning a CNC build and was looking at some of the options offered, I'm leaning more toward the Lead 1010 but do have some questions and requirements that need to be met so asking for advice on if it is the right machine for the job so to speak.

Some of the requirements:
    - looking at setting up a 2.2kw atc spindle, so blackbox needs to be able to support vfd control and toolchange / air etc (verified already and looks like VFD is covered but not sure about toolchange operations and controlling air for the tool change operation.
    - need to cut wood up to 3'x3'x4" (was looking at the extended z for the lead 1010).
    - need to cut aluminum up to 15mm (should be ok if 2.2kw spindle is supported)
    - ideally i would like to include a 3 axis touch probe similar to this one here

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Correct, VFD is (see OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation ) but toolchangers, not quite, Grbl only caters to the basics (instead of a jack of all, rather a master of the 99%)

Spot on the rest, Lead with High Z is the way to go!

3. Achtepa

Achtepa New
    Builder

Thanks for the reply Peter, so would you go with a different controller in my case, if so which ? I did see some work being done on toolchanger options in the software I think it may have been you working on it ? Is the software only compatible with blackbox controller or also supports others ?

Thanks!

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The current in progress code is manual toolchange. Stop spindle, loosen collet nut, replace tool, tighten nut. Click dialog, we help you zero tool length, and away you go. Sounds more like you want an ATC.

OpenBuildsCONTROL supports all Grbl based controllers (same limitations apply though to all of them)

Of course you can work clever around it with manual macros (hack Coolant output to control air?)