Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lead 1010 Upgrade - CNC4Newbie 7" slider - raise x gantry - spindle upgrade

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jdubster3d, Oct 3, 2019.

1. fabo1138

fabo1138 New
    Builder

Just added 2" to the Z-Axis on the LEAD 1010. Received the parts the day before the OpenBuilds High Z- Kit was announced.
    Only needed a few inches and didn't want to take the whole machine apart to mod. Total cost was under $50usd.

Z-Axis extensionS2.jpg

Pidiln, Bud Haffner, sharmstr and 4 others like this.
  2. Bud Haffner

Builder

I really like your setup! Did you purchase the parts from OpenBuilds, and if so, do you have a parts list?

3. Jdubster3d

Builder

@Bud Haffner I was going to ask the same thing...fabo if you have a parts list I would love a share. Also did you lose any x movement? I was thinking about just getting some c beam or just longer 20x80 extrusion and just replacing my vertical posts all together, do you think this setup makes it more ridgid or is it just a less expensive way to go?

Thanks for the share!

4. fabo1138

fabo1138 New
    Builder

I bought the parts from various vendors as I could get bulk pricing for future mods, but all can be purchased from OpenBuilds.
    Initially planning to replace the Z side rails but didn't want to take everything apart. Cutting one of the purchased 250mm rails in half was easy and ended up just the extra height I was looking for. It didn't appear to change the rigidity and It was super easy to loosen the extension to push it up for leveling the X Axis C-Beam. If I had known before the build, would have just used longer side rails.

1 - Extrusion 1 - V-Slot® 20x80 Linear Rail (Length: 250mm, V-Slot Color: Sleek Silver) 295-LP - OpenBuilds - 1 piece cut n half
    12 - 8mm X 5mm button head hex screw - OpenBuilds or Bolt Depot, #18952 - bought a 100 of each plus some other sizes
    20 -10mm X 5mm button head hex screw - OpenBuilds, or BoltDepot #13343 - bought a 100 of each plus some other sizes
    16 - M5 Flat Washer BoltDepot #7740 - bought a 100 of each plus some other sizes
    2 - 3 x 3 hole Plate - Made from 1.5" x 1.5" x .125" Alum bar ( scrap from another project - HomeDepot )
    2- 2 x 1 hole plate - Made from .75" x 1.5" x .125" Alum bar ( scrap from another project - HomeDepot )
    Can't see in photo, but used on back side to join extension
    18 - Cast Corner Bracket for 20mm Aluminum Extrusion 20x20x17mm - OpenBuilds , Amazon
    48 - M5 Sliding T Slot Nut Half Round Roll (100 pk) (replaced existing flat T-Nuts) - OpenBuilds, Amazon
    16 - #10x3/4 Self Drilling Screw -HomeDepot , Or Self Tapping Screw OpenBuilds SKU 720 ,
    The #10x3/4 Self tapping screw worked great into end of rail

Bud Haffner likes this.
  5. Bud Haffner

Builder

Thanks so much for the reply. I have some of the materials on hand and will get the rest ordered. Much appreciated!