Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

LEAD 1010 CNC Odd Stalling Situation

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Scott Thompson, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Scott Thompson

Builder

Hi All,
    My X axis on my LEAD 1010 has developed a frequency resonance which is causing stalling and I don't know why this is happening (see attached video). I have put dozens of hours on my machine and this just started to happen. Oddly it does not stall when I jog at 2900 mm/min but when I do a project at 2600 mm/min it will stall intermittently for brief time (~250 to ~500ms) which will offset the tool. This has caused one broken end mill so far. All my lead screws have been tensioned since day one. Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Scott

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

As I haven't been able to download your video yet (Internet/ISP issue on my end) consider the following generic advice:
    - As its been in use for a while, check that the leadscrews are clean and lubricated - and check the V-Slots for debris build up that may impede the rolling of the wheels
    - Check heatsinks for dust build up
    - Check wiring on axes that stalls, as it bends back and forth, breaks can develop inside the wiring causing random issues as described in docs:blackbox-x32:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    - Check thrust bearings for wear and tear - if overtightened during tensioning they can become damaged and fail over time

3. Scott Thompson

Builder

Thanks for your quick reply Peter. I will review your recommendations. The video shows that I can stall the machine just by manually turning the X stepper motor at various speeds and accelerations while the machine is powered off
    Scott

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Please never spin a motor by hand. A motor spun backwards becomes a generator - backfeeds the stepper drivers - causing damage to your controller!

5. Peter Van Der Walt

From video - firstly I am surprised you still have a controller (faster spins = more voltage backfed) but looks like the shaft coupler spins on the motor shaft - check shaft coupler grubscrews