Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

LEAD 1010 Build

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by ScottKruer, Sep 22, 2024.

1. ScottKruer

Builder

Been working on putting together a LEAD 1010 with the High Z mod option that I got a couple weeks ago... Just about done with the mechanical build portion, but have an issue that came up today...

My problem is with two of the nut blocks (one of the Y and the X). I could not get the LEAD screw to thread through the nut block by hand. On each, I finally used my drill. Both of the LEAD screws threaded through but, they are tight... Tight enough that I can't turn the screw by hand.

Has anyone experienced similar on new nut blocks during a new build? If so, what did you do?

I'd rather be safe than sorry....

Scott

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You may have to work them back and forth with the drill a few times.

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

do make sure the stepper motor is NOT connected at the time , they can generate enough voltage to blow the drivers.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

And add a little Dry/PTFE lubricant spray

5. ScottKruer

Builder

I disconnected and removed the LEAD screw on the other Y axis that is working smoothly and can be turned by hand…

I removed the motor and flexible coupling from the Y axis side that will not turn by hand. I connected the drill and ran the carriage the length of the Y axis and back 20-30 times (with lubricant) and it still will not turn by hand…

The nut blocks have not been tightened yet. It just seems to me to be too tight and will cause unnecessary stress on the motor and coupling. The X axis LEAD screw is doing the same thing. I don’t want to just ignore it and it comes back to bite me in the butt…

I recently put together a C-Machine and had no issues with X,Y or Z axis nut blocks… just scratching my head…

scott

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

You can always ask the store to send you other ones. But a tight one is a good one, i'd rather bed in a tight one than have a loose one. Slight manufacturing tolerances the old lube and drill tricks been around for a decade

7. ScottKruer

Builder

If tight is good, then I have great… lol

thanks for the feedback…

scott