Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lead 1010 Black Box Wont Work with USB Extension?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by ford_jake, Feb 5, 2020.

1. ford_jake

ford_jake New
    Builder

I run a Lead 1010 from Openbuilds and it's been a great machine. When I hook up a USB extension Windows 10 will not recognize the machine anymore. I even bought an extended printer cable which is what appears to be what comes with the machine, and it also is not recognized. Is there a special cable I need in order to have more reach with the USB cable? I'm trying to go approx. 12 feet is all. The pinouts appear the same on the cables, maybe wired different? Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 10 Latest Version
    FTDI Drivers installed

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

USB by design works best on short leads. Higher leads have higher internal capacitance and inductance, which slews the high frequency USB signals too much. This holds true for most USB devices.
    The second factor is the USB port of the PC itself. Some do not deliver enough current and the long cables cause too much of a voltage drop.
    Also the drivers (hardware) of the D+ and D- signals may be weaker on some PCs.
    And lastly, long cables are more susceptible to EMI interference.

So basically, we recommend keeping it around 4 feet. If you really need it longer, investing in a "powered USB Hub" or a "powered Active USB extension" with a sufficiently long cable will work better than just a passive extension, but be aware that it doesnt negate the negatives entirely, you may still suffer communications issues leading to ruined workpieces and broken endmills

If you get either of those make sure they come with their own power supply, cheaper ones sometimes has the power input port, but doesnt include the power supply, or worse, just power off the USB port itself (same as above, long cable drops too much power, and you are still in the same boat)

Extra reading: Maximum length of a USB Cable? and USB Cable Length Limitations And How To Break Them

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    stuart wallace likes this.
  3. ford_jake

ford_jake New
    Builder

Thank you for the information. Makes perfect sense. I will get a powered hub on order and hope that works. The way my garage is setup I really need it to be extended. I'm running a laptop but want to get it over onto a desktop because the wife is mad I have her laptop:) I will report back if I get it working. Thanks again

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I purchased a 12 foot usb from Fry's electronics and so far it has worked well for me. But, I have been known to be lucky at times. My cable runs from the computer into my cabinet the CNC is on top of so it is probably 2-3 feet from any other cabling and the power cable from my router goes straight up to the ceiling so there is a lot of separation.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Less "luck" and more likely just a solid set of USB tranceivers on that motherboard of yours (;

6. ford_jake

ford_jake New
    Builder

Just an update, I tried with my desktop and it did not work either. I have 3d Printed some brackets, and the PC is now mounted under the table, using the cable that comes with the black box. Thanks for the help!!!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.