Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

LAYZOR - a budget K40 conversion

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by xfredericox, Feb 27, 2018.

1. xfredericox

xfredericox Well-Known
    Builder

sharmstr likes this.
  2. xfredericox

xfredericox Well-Known
    Builder

3. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

On my 'Have To Do' list, almost at the very top, is a conversion like this. While I will use your build log as a reference, two things I'll make different, for sure! I'll make the effective cutting area bigger. I want at least 20" x 30" (500mm x 750mm) (which is the size of the Dollar Tree foam board :D).
    The other thing is the movement of the z axis. I will make it with a stepper. So much easier to control and be precise and...I don't have to crank the handle forever ( :) ) and I can do it remotely.

4. xfredericox

xfredericox Well-Known
    Builder

Great!

I'm working on making build plans, but that will probably take some time.
    Expanding the build volume should not really be an issue. I decided on the 40x60cm work area, but no matter which you choose, there's always the 'I could go just a little larger' urge. :)

Powered Z axis is honestly extremely simple to implement. I thought about it, but it adds to the tally, and if you think about it it's not that useful imho. I mean the bed will mostly only move millimeters at most. If at some point you need fast travel there's the nut in the jog wheel which allows to use a power drill. Precision is relative. Will you measure every piece of stock down to a fraction of a millimeter and then adjust the bed accordingly. I know I won't. :) Off course everyone is free to do as he likes, just giving you my humble opinion.

zann68 likes this.
  5. xfredericox

xfredericox Well-Known
    Builder

6. xfredericox

xfredericox Well-Known
    Builder

7. xfredericox

xfredericox Well-Known
    Builder

Corto72 likes this.
  8. xfredericox

xfredericox Well-Known
    Builder

Hi all,
    just wanted to let you know that I officially finished this project, and for that occasion I just launched a dedicated LAYZOR website.

For those that don't know, the LAYZOR is a complete rebuild of a K40, but I recommend you read the full story on my blogpost:
    www.manmademayhem.com/?p=3440

Thanks for watching!

Attached Files:

#8 xfredericox, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2018
    GrayUK likes this.
  9. BNMaker

BNMaker Veteran
    Builder

When you want to move the material into the sweet spot for the cut, moving by hand is not feasible.

If you need 5 passes of 20mm material, moving the material 5mm closer each pass achieves that, and is pretty hard to do by eye/hand.

10. xfredericox

xfredericox Well-Known
    Builder

I haven't seen many people cut 20mm material to be honest, so for me personally there's little value in a powered Z. But as I said if anyone would want a powered Z, they could add one without issue.

Also, the bed mechanism has been designed so it moves exactly 1mm with a full 360° turn of the wheel, so moving 5mm per pass is as easy as rotating the wheel 5 turns in between passes.

BNMaker likes this.
  11. BNMaker

BNMaker Veteran
    Builder

I didn't mean it as a criticism, just as an explanation of why people might want to move their Z. :)

One day I will have a CO2 laser... until then, I'll make do with diodes...

xfredericox likes this.
  12. xfredericox

xfredericox Well-Known
    Builder

LAYZOR plans now available!

The LAYZOR project has been dominating all my free time since the beginning of the year. This post marks another milestone in this crazy journey.

So what happenend? Well I finally finished the complete plans for converting any K40 to the LAYZOR. I'm very satisfied with the result and I actually finished it a few weeks earlier than anticipated, so I'm giving myself a golden medal for that.

The plans are for sale over here: Shop

Cheers!

icon_buildguide.jpg

13. xfredericox

xfredericox Well-Known
    Builder

Already did some upgrades to the LAYZOR. I installed a Cohesion3D board and air assist!
    Read more here:
    LAYZOR upgrades

2018-09-04 18.37.36.jpg