Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Laser suggestion for cutting?

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by gary.mck, Apr 6, 2020.

1. gary.mck

gary.mck New
    Builder

Hi,
    have just completed build of a Workbee 1010 and was wondering if it is feasible to add a diode laser for cutting up to 1/8 inch balsa and plywood for modelling rc planes and boats? J tech is way out of my budget (retired and crap exchange rate $AU to $US )so was wondering if there were any cheaper options that would work, or should I just stick to routing....Currently running an Openbuilds Blackbox. Too much time to think with our stage 4 virus lockdown ........

TIA
    Gary
    Geelong, Australia

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

445nm lasers are really bad at cutting (excellent at engraving though, linear power curve means you can do grayscale photographs with awesome details)

If you do, its usually slow speeds (like 100mm/min), multiple passes (like 20 passes for 3mm thick material) and keeping in mind that 445nm absorbs well into organics (wood, leather, cardboard) but not so well into inorganics (doesn't cut the resin inside the plywood stackup so well, so even though it does cut the wood layers, not so good on the resin layers, and pretty much stuck on any pockets of resit inside the plywood. The Balsa should be doable. But its painful, and usually has bad beveling and scorching issues from the slow speed.

You have a Workbee though, so why not leave the cutting to a Router, and only use the Laser for marking, engraving, cosmetics, etc

Here's a video we did of using the LEAD1010 with laser and router mounted together

3. Steve Scott

Builder

Hi Gary, I'm also in lockdown in 'New Mexico' (Victoria.au).
    I'm just new on the CNC router path (maybe a career change). I've considering the LEAD 1010 (it offers an upgrade for Z:200mm -) ...but seriously want the Laser capability. Have you been able to source any good leads/tips yet?

4. gary.mck

gary.mck New
    Builder

Hi Steve,
    I ended up deciding that it was too much hassle swapping out between the spindle and the laser, so I've just bought (delivered 2 days ago) a "15 watt" (actually 4.5 watts optically) version of this

US $188.55 16% OFF|Ortur Laser Master 2 15W High Speed mini CNC Laser Engraver Engraving Machine for Metal/Acrylic/Plastic/Leather/Glass/Wood/Paper|3D Printers| - AliExpress
    :
    Have tried it out and it works well. Cut 1.5mm ply in one pass. Apparently the 15 w version is the best compromise for cutting and engraving. The 20w version isn't as good at engraving due to beam shape. Delivery was 7 days as they send by TNT Express.

Let me know if you have any queries. Also I bought my Workbee from
    https://www.makerstore.com.au/

Would recommend them highly as I had a problem with my kit and they fixed it super quickly and without hesitation. A bit more expensive than China, but worth it for piece of mind.

cheers
    Gary

Steve Scott likes this.