Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Laser / PWM not working

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Jim Robert, Nov 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Jim Robert

Builder

I'm just setting up my new J-Tech laser with the Blackbox32. I can't get the laser to fire or turn on. $30, $31, $32 are set and verified per the threads I've been researching the past several days. When I turn on the PWM at full power using G1 F100 M03 S1000 I get 3.18v. When I set S500 I get only 1.6v. The laser works if I turn on manual mode on the J-Tech driver device. I have also turned the small potentiometer on the J-Tech driver device to no avail.

I've been racking my brain and reading every forum post relating to lasers and can't seem to solve this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That's about correct - its a 3.3v output. If you set $30=1000, then S1000 = 100% = approx 3.3v
    Half of that (S500) is about 3.3 / 2 = 1,65v.
    Slight different might be measuring error, uncalibrated meter, probe resistance etc, doesn't seem too far off.

How is it wired to the JTech? Pics and details if you'd like us to review :)

3. Jim Robert

Builder

PWM Output from the Blackbox32 plugged into the H4 input on the J-Tech controller. I thought I've been reading everywhere that the laser pwm is 5v max, so your 3.3 note helped. It turned out this plug wasn't making a good connection to the J-Tech controller. Luckily they have the H2 input that does the same, just with a bare wire. It solved my problem. Thank you for your very speedy response.

Attached Files:

Giarc and Peter Van Der Walt like this.