Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Laser Power

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by residentdj, Jun 4, 2023.

1. residentdj

Builder

I know this is a mill/router subforum and im asking about a laser, but this is specific to my LEAD 1010 machine.

Basically, I have built a contraption where TOOL from X32 out goes to Digital Loggers power strip and from there things get weird..... power goes to a simple power activated timer relay and then to a modified DIN rail outlet that I have router and the shopvac plugged into. The purpouse of this is to power up the router, and then, 10 seconds later, power up the shopvac. to avoid popping the breaker.

here is the problem. when i fire up Laser using PWM, with the laser profile loaded, it turns on the laser, then TOOL out sends signal to the strip and turns on spindle the shop vac.

I am connecting from Light Burn via wifi to X32. Actual Laser power is manual for now.

I would like to stop X32 from enabling the spindle and shop vac when I turn on laser via PWM and maybe automate the laser power as well

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Use a second IoT on the COOLANT port. As documented in the Blackbox documentation.

Then in your gcode add a G4 P10 between the M3 and M8 commands (edit post processor of your usual CAM to automate)

As for laser vs spindle, cannot be handled in software, but simply power on the device you want to use, and power off the other one.

David the swarfer likes this.
  3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

our fusion post will handle coolant codes for you without modification.

4. residentdj

Builder

Thanks Peter!

But would it make sense to just switch to an ESP board and a simple consumer wifi power strip where each outlet is addressable/outlets with relays/rack pdu/whatever? Just turn power on and off depending on which pin you get signal? TOOL turns on spindle/shopvac or COOLANT turns on laser/air assist/ fumes extractor? Or do they always fire at the same time? I guess even of they do, I can add some kind of logic to pull profile name from X32 and proceed accordingly.

These IoT relays are cool and cheap enough, but seems like a waste of space to use for a single device.

Also, in documentation the diagram for a 4 wire laser shows the power direct from the OPENBUILDS power supply. But that creates a dilemma, because the build instructions tell you to wire your spindle light to the power supply and that also powers up the laser before you even need it. Mine has a fan louder than the 611 spindle

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Exactly how we recommend it.
    First IoT handles spindle on M3/4/5 docs:blackbox-x32:connect-dewalt-iotrelay [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Seperate IoT for dust extractor on Coolant port with M8/9 docs:blackbox-x32:connect-coolant [OpenBuilds Documentation]

You can parallel a couple sets of wires into a terminal before it gets untidy. Otherwise split wiring / wago /terminal blocks /etc many ways to parallel connect wires. Or grab a spare psu. Many different ways, docs are just a suggestion of course in that context

IoT has an onboard 12A breaker for safety. If you have loads under the limit you can share. As you go up, seperate IoTs. If both together go over 15A/20A you want those on seperate breakers and seperate sockets too. Amperage limits are a real thing in electrical, for good reason - melting wiring is no fun.