Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

large scale pen plotter for artwork app

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by AllanArt, Jun 3, 2019.

1. AllanArt

AllanArt New
    Builder

Newbee to openbuilds here. Anyone familiar with the multifunction plotter called "Tooli" produced by Toolbotics? toolbotics. It's a large scale multifunction plotter with changeable tool heads. Is there a pen plotter build here similar to it, maybe using the ACRO system? My primary application is large format vector drawing with marker pens, with a secondary interest in light CNC Z axis carving if possible - also for art application. Tooli originated in Australia a few years ago but never caught on and closed shop before I could buy one. It resurfaced last year - sort of - via a South Korean company, but they nearly doubled the price by adding a laser feature in addition to forced packaging other tool heads I do not need. Worse yet, they have yet to set up a formal shop to sell it, which begs the question what will support be like? If there is no canned build on openbuilds, how difficult is it to come up with a vertical pen tool head similar to Tooli (not at an angle like AxiDraw) and controller to driver with g-code sourced from vector graphic files? I have access to a 3D printer if that will help. Thx

2. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

The ACRO is a great fit for this application. Super accurate and precise. Add your own laser, pen plotter or the like. Starts at 289.99 usd

3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

It is worth looking on thingiverse for a pen holder.
    Alex.

4. AllanArt

AllanArt New
    Builder

I can’t move forward on my desire to create a large format pen plotter bc I have yet to find a known working solution for the pen plotter head. BTW my choice of pen is the Copic which has an oval body shape. Searched YouTube and looked thru thingiverse but nothing jumped out at me as a viable solution. No sense buying an ACRO system until I can see a clear known path to a workable pen plotter head - and come up with a parts list - and some kind of known working published explanation on how to integrate it with the Black Box controller to control however the pen plotter head may work - be it pwm driven servo control, or perhaps spring loaded solenoid actuated ( which I prefer) etc. also, the plotter head must allow me to easily change pens during a plot - and I must be able to maintain a high degree of accuracy and ideally calibrate to reg marks on the drawing surface below in order to maintain perfect registration from pen to pen. The Tooli plotter I wish to emulate offers a spring loaded head that properly lowers and raises the pen while applying controlled pressure on the writing surface. That may be too much to expect at first so i’ll settle for less, as long as I don’t have to reinvent the wheel to come up with a solution. As mentioned, I have access to a 3D printer if necessary. Surely someone has been down this road before with ACRO no?

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Do a search for egg bot printers. They have both an ideal pen mount and servo actuated z-axis. Further suggestions on how to get all this up and running can be found here.