Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lack of power

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Les Adams, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Les Adams

Les Adams New
    Builder

Just finished a Shynix 1050 with the latest version sparks pro board. Im running the high torque 345 oz. motors and using a ATX 450 watt power supply. I can actually stop the motors when running with just lightly pinching the screw to motor couplers. Any ideas ? Thanks,Les

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Most people's first assumption is going to be your current limiting... You got that set right? (I'm not familiar with the specific board)

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Les Adams

Les Adams New
    Builder

Its a sparks cncprov all in one board. Comes with the openbuilds shynix router kit. Don't think it has any limiting options but Im not an electronics pro. Could it be the atx power supply im using?

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You should be using at least a 24V power supply. Additionally, have you adjusted the current settings (potentiometers) on the xPro board?

To get full power out of the high torque steppers though you should be using proper drivers. The xPro board cannot supply the full 3 amps they require.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I agree with Rick, you need higher voltage power supply. I would also use higher amperage drivers like he listed. This is the guide for your xpro board. It tells how to set the current and other troubleshooting. Spark-Concepts/xPRO

6. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

Also make sure your couplers are actually attached firmly. Your electronic settings don't matter if the motor/lead is just spinning in the coupler.