Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

KYO SPHINX a la' SCYBUCK

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by SCYBUCK, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

1000mm

2. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

There's another maker by the name Beardyblair that built an XL Sphinx with similar specs. I would link the build but don't know how. To be honest, you may have to do some reinforcement mods to keep the deflection down. I know for sure you will see a little flex when milling hard materials towards the center of that 1000mm cbeam but maybe the added weight of the spindle will mitigate this some. If I were doing a build that was 1000mm wide with a 2.2kw spindle, I would consider designing a dual cbeam X axis. You may not have any issues if you take really conservative cuts. Of course, I don't personally have experience with that exact setup but you could ask Beardyblair. I know on my 500mm wide Sphinx, I could manually flex the X axis cbeam a little if I lifted up on it in the middle of the cbeam. These brushless chinese spindles are pretty heavy.

3. Anthony Bolgar

Builder

My spindle is 1.5kW, so I will see. If the deflection is too much I will reinforce the cBeam with a steel angle iron on the back side through bolted to the cbeam. May do that right from the start, can not hurt to be stiffer.

Michael.M likes this.
  4. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran

Knowing what I do now, I would reinforce my machine if I was building a 1000mm wide Sphinx even if I was only using my 800w spindle. I thought about the angle iron approach also. I even thought about filling the inside structure of the cbeam with epoxy. This would eliminate quite a bit of the flex actually.

Anthony Bolgar likes this.
  5. Anthony Bolgar

Builder

My other option would be to add a second cbeam to the back side and bolt em together. But I am leaning towards teh angle iron approach.

6. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran

Yeah the only issue is that the X axis carriage wraps around the cbeam completely so you would have to add more spacers. It wpuld require some reworking of the design.

7. Andreas Bockert

Andreas Bockert Well-Known
    Builder

I have a 1x1m Sphinx. While I can't give you accurate deflection numbers I can offer some experiences. I'm using a Makita router (about 800w) and have never felt that I need more power. I think the rigidity of the machine is not enough to push the router to its limit. I have done some aluminum machining and never came anywhere close to 800w without the machine starting to act up.

I guess what I'm saying is that on a Sphinx with a long X axis (or any C-beam construction I guess) going to 2.2kw is overkill. The only thing I'm missing with the Makita is to have the ability to lower RPMs and go slower.

Anyhow, my $.02

JustinTime and Anthony Bolgar like this.
  8. CNCMD

CNCMD Journeyman
    Builder

I run a 800w spindle on my 1000mm axis. I do not believe that it causes any concern able amount of deflection. However, me being me, I've been thinking that I do want to do something. So here is what I am thinking about. Again, this is not a critical project at all in the long list of projects.

Anyway, I would get a piece of 1000mm long and figure 1/4" or 3/8" thick cast plate, cut to size, drill holes, and attach it to the backside of the C Beam, obviously with most of the weight off the Z axis. That would make the C beam super strong, add some mass to it, and hopefully reduce deflection if any.