Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Knockoff Workbee binds and goes beyond Homing limit

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mike Couillard, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Mike Couillard

Builder

Hi all total noob here. I bought the Xpro v4. Hooked it up and it works great! The issue I'm having is when I go to Home the XYz axis the machine will go to the limit switch and continue on. It doesn't stop automatically when the alarm kicks on in the Control software. have to hit the kill switch. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure it's human error somewhere (or lot's of somewheres) Here's a screen shot and the Grbl settings. Thanks in advance for any help!!! I have a 1500x1500 workbee. In have to add that even though I increase feed rate the machine can't or won't move faster than 10in/min

I have to add that even though I increase feed rate the machine can't or won't move faster than 10in/min on X and Y (Nema 23) However I have a 2.2KW spindle and Nema 23 high torque on the Z axis (nema 23 couldn't handle the weight and dragged the Z axis down to the spoilboard) and feed rate is no issue on the Z axis. Thoughts? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the X and Y motors are struggling with the weight. Any help would be much appreciated so thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Attached Files:

#1 Mike Couillard, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2019
  2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

When homing it will first do the Z (moves up). If it continues to move up after hitting the switch, it means your switch isnt working. You can go into the troubleshooting tab and check the switch. Just trigger it with your finger and see if the Z-Limit turns "On" (red). If not, check your wiring.

In normal operation, it will find your z switch, back off of it, then move to find X and Y.

In looking at your screenshot, I can see in the background you have jogging set to 11,800 in/min. Fix that.

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Also, your problem might be your steps per/mm are set way to high on X and Y if you have belts on those axis. That would explain part of your 10in/min max issue.

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Mike posted some extra info to a new thread - I have tidied it into this thread - posting this so other contributors know first post has changed slightly.
    Alex.

Mark Carew likes this.
  5. Mike Couillard

Builder

Thanks guys sorry for the 2nd thread. The only reason the feed was set that high was because the feed wouldn't move more than 10in/min so I was tring to see if it would make a difference. I have ballscrew 8mm throughout. All homing switches light up on the xpro and an error 6 alarm triggers every time without that axis stopping. I did have grbl on my PC before I installed the online control.

6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Dont know much about your setup since you havent told us, but perhaps change $5 to disabled.

grbl runs on the control board, not your PC. Perhaps you meant something like grbl panel or something similar.

What control board do you have? Ardunio? Blackbox? If ardunio what drivers?

How do you know its only going 10in/min?

7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Mike has an Xpro V4.
    What software do you use to control?
    Since you have hard limits enabled does the machine stop when it hits the limit switches if you JOG to them?
    Alex.

#7 Alex Chambers, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  8. Mike Couillard

Builder

Yes I have the Xpro4. I'm using the Openbuilds CControl software. At first I thought I had a C-Beam XL but that wasn't correct I think. Since I have 1500x1500 is there a preset setting in the Openbuilds Control?

9. Mike Couillard

Builder

I also tried using Universal G Code Sender with same results. But the UGS did record what Openbuilds had in the grbl settings. When I jog manually to the homing switches it still doesn't stop. I'm guessing at 10in/min but it's close. Either way I can't home or increase feed rate. as far as I know all other functions work.

10. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Right. Duh. You did say Xpro.

You can use the Workbee 1010 or the Lead 1010 since all axis in those profiles are screws. You will then need to change your max travel settings for X and Y. See $130 and $131.

Settings are saved on the xpro so it doesnt matter what software you use. The grbl settings you posted are missing values so its hard to say what you have set wrong. $5 should be 0 (disabled) and $21 should be 1 (enabled).

You have your max rate set to 1000mm/min on all axis so its not going to go faster than 39in/min. See $110, $111.

Mark Carew likes this.
  11. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @Mike Couillard, you said you have 8 mm ballscrews - if so what is their spec - or did you mean 8 mm leadscrews? Info would help to know if your steps/mm are right.
    Alex.

PS - post a pic of your machine.

12. Mike Couillard

Builder

Yep total noob amd I don't know the terminology. 8mm lead screw here's a pic or 2. Thanks for taking the time out of your guys day to help me. I truly appreciate it.

Attached Files:

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Where is it from? Largest we supply is 1510. And then the 1500mm axis is belt not leadscrew, 1500mm leadscrews whip. Is this maybe an aliexpress knockoff?
    Where is the xPro from? (if not from us or Sparkconcepts, let us know as that could be part of your endstop woes)

Use the Workbee 1010 profile and adapt any axis length specific values below from there (add 500mm to each of the relevant values like max travel, etc)

Recheck Limits wiring:
    Signal pin on XPRO to NO on switch
    GnD on XPRO to C on Switch

Mark Carew likes this.
  14. Peter Van Der Walt

Thats crazy overkill on an extrusion style machine, way too strong (frame will flex long before you use 1/3rd of the power you have) and way too heavy (see How to calculate V-Slot® deflection)
    Also, VFD spindles spit out a lot of EMI, which, messes with Limits inputs if you dont use RC filters, Ferrite beads, and shielded cable. This is an odd machine, whoever designed it as a kit should be taken out back.
    There are valid reasons the official ones are limited to 1000mm X axis, and use a nice light trim router with more than enough power

Mark Carew likes this.
  15. Mike Couillard

Builder

1st of all thanks for responding on a weekend. My apologies for the sporadic response but it's been a crazy weekend. Yeah it's from Ebay. Bulkman3d.com workbee. It was a gift. They use Openbuilds videos and tutorials. I thought they were part of your Co. Maybe a chinese branch. I got the xpro4 from sparks concepts (also thought this was
    .cription1500*1500mm WorkBee CNC Router Machine Full Kit 4 Aixs CNC Mill GRBL 2.2KW 220V.
    Came from somewhere in China for sure but you can see it's sold as a kit. I'm going to do what you suggest 1st thing tomorrow and let you know. Thank you so much.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

:( yeah SPAM is pure evil. While it is open source hardware, they dump their support on us and give nothing back to the community... Also, the software, documentation, videos etc are not subject as part of the open source hardware perks. Sadly people keep buying from them and then cry here :)
    And then they also make unwise decisions like stretching machines to troublesome sizes, etc.

If i was you i would modify it into the official 1510 format to increase reliability. Sell the 2.2kw spindle and get a router. As you are a beginner the learning curve is big enough, when you run totally nonsensical and nonstandard hardware too i see nothing but frustration ahead.
    The xPro is also not ideal for a large machine like that, it has DRV8825 drivers (1.2-1.5a max that cannot power High Torque motors). BlackBox can though, a shame you didnt have that advice or knowledge before buying.

We'll try and help, but dont want to sugarcoat it. You are in for a little pain (; at least it was a gift, so that helps take some of the sting out

17. Mike Couillard

Builder

Lol thanks for not sugarcoating it. the gift part does help. If I was to get an air cooled 800kw air spindle would that help a bit? When you say modify it.... move the homing switches to that 1510 layout and use the presets for the 1510 in control? I can do that. I'm already considering selling it and getting one from you guys.

18. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

I believe the reference implies physically cutting the machine down to a workable size. 1500mm is too long for an X-axis. The length results in too much flex in the system which makes for low quality cuts. You'll note that none of the systems in the parts store have a 1500mm X-axis and that's the reason. The other issue here is that 1500mm is too long for an 8mm screw. To go that far you need to upsize the screws. (Sharmstr's build can offer information on how to do that.) Otherwise it would be best to cut the length of the Y-axes down to 1000mm also.

As for the electronics to propel your system, consider the BlackBox Motion Control System, the matching limit switch kits, and a proper power supply to run it all.

19. Mike Couillard

Builder

So why not just buy the 4FT X axis length C beam and rails along with the 4ft. Frame supports (3). I can cut down the lead screw. Openbuilds largest is 4ft x 5ft. Also isn't the xpro4 in the blackbox? What makes it able to handle the high torque. If I trade the 2.2kw spindle for 800kw air spindle, i think it's 3x lighter... would that help this insanity???

20. Peter Van Der Walt

Cut the 1500 axis to 1000. Replace the long screws with belt. 1500s will whip like crazy! Look at the 1510 and see whats different. We stopped at 1510 because any bigger or different in our labs showed fail

21. Peter Van Der Walt

XPro has a case but its not BlackBox see docs.openbuilds.com/BlackBox

Xpro has teensy little 1.2A RMS drivers. BlackBox has beefy 3.2A RMS drivers!

22. Peter Van Der Walt

With the weight yes. Not with complexity, interfacing, EMI issues, etc

Alex Chambers likes this.
  23. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Openbuilds largest Workbee is 39" (X) x 59" (Y). You can get away with the longer Y axis because the X axis resists some of the flex in the frame. You will either need to be able to cut your existing C-beam and V-slot down accurately and perfectly square or replace them with components from Openbuilds. You can keep the 1500 Y axis if you change the leadscrew to belts or upgrade the leadscrews to a larger size.
    Some people have tried strengthening the C-beams with varying success but what @Peter Van Der Walt and @Rick 2.0 have suggested is the sure way to turn this machine into something that will work.
    Many people use a Makita or Dewalt router as a spindle - less weight and less EMI problems.
    Alex.

Rick 2.0 and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  24. Mike Couillard

Builder

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and thoughts. I'll most likely end up just buying the right parts from openbuilds or just selling this machine outright and buying one from openbuilds.

In the meantime is there any way to home this machine correctly? Can the openbuilds software grbl settings be corrected with the current system

25. Peter Van Der Walt

Alarm 6 (if thats still the error) is either incorrect wiring resetting controller or EMI

So Grbl settings won't help if that is still your error

Other than that, github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki is worth a read and use the Troubleshooting tab in CONTROL

You really dont need switches though: Jog to the origin of the material, click SETZERO, run the job