Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

KEYS CNC SHIELD

Discussion in 'Laser Projects' started by robert christensen, Apr 12, 2020.

1. robert christensen

Builder

im starting a laser build for my son and we are starting out with a keys cnc shield 3 axis with Arduino nano and grbl,

1 what pins on the shield do we hook up the laser
    2 do we have to do anything else
    3 change setting in grbl to set off laser is mthe only thing I think we need to change

thanks in advance Robert

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Docs don't seem hard to find? Ks0152 keyestudio CNC Shield V4 - Keyestudio Wiki / Ks0096 keyestudio CNC Kit / CNC Shield V4.0 + Nano 3.0+3pcs a4988 Driver / GRBL Compatible - Keyestudio Wiki

They seem sufficient to get started, but it doesn't look like the sort of thing you'll get much support with. Those boards typically don't include reverse polarity, hot-plugging, or short circuit protection either, so stock up on spares of both the drivers and the Nano, because there's a very high chance you'll fry a couple of each.

Those drivers are ok for a laser build, but I would strongly recommend, performance-wise, moving to 24V (assuming NEMA 17 motors) through proper stepper drivers like these: https://smile.amazon.com/STEPPERONLINE-1-0-4-2A-20-50VDC-Micro-step-Resolutions/dp/B06Y5VPSFN - this is the route I took, I originally tried using an Uno and V3 shield, but it's a recipe for frustration. There's really no need any more, it's not 2015! You can get rapids up to 15,000mm/min with this setup quite comfortably.

...Or, as Peter says, buy a BlackBox which has the downside of everything being integrated together, but the significant upside of 80% of the wiring work already being done for you.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.