Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Just set up a Workbee (from SPAM) + BlackBox but motors aren't working, is it wrong wiring?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by antang808, Aug 5, 2021.

1. antang808

antang808 New
    Builder

So I just finished the wiring for my first Workbee and I admit that I cheaped out on the mechanical kit from SPAM but I made sure to get a BlackBox. Based on the documentation from SPAM, the wiring should be (red-green-blue-yellow) for the NEMA 23s from SPAM. However, when I turn on the Blackbox, I get this clicking as if the motors aren't properly set up or something in the BlackBox. I can connect to my laptop fine, but I'm not sure if maybe I have too much tension on my wheels or if its the motors. I've attached a video if it with the picture of the connections. If anyone has any ideas on whats going on, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Anthony

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

As @Peter Van Der Walt said above - I'm afraid you can't rely on SPAM's documentation or the colour coding for their motors - I even came across one person who had one motor with a different colour code.
    Alex.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

You can't even rely on the motors working when you do get the wiring right (; - the forum sees it all the time - high inductance, terrible performance (but cheap)

5. antang808

antang808 New
    Builder

I actually think it might be my power supply. The color scheme is correct and I've confirmed it through the methods of twisting wires togther. The fan of the meanwell power supply is twitching similarly to that clicking so there be some surging or something

6. Peter Van Der Walt

The fan in most (real ones at least, your vendor isn't known for using genuine parts so it may be fake) Meanwell's are temperature controlled, the fan only comes on >65degC
    Check with a multimeter.

Do note 3rd party PSUs can affect your BlackBox and it's warranty if something goes wrong that can be attributed to a surge from the PSU

7. antang808

antang808 New
    Builder

I got it to work thanks luckily i have another power supply lying around. I got the meanwell PSU from amazon + the powerkit and the issue was the powersupply was constantly turning off and on

Alex Chambers likes this.