Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Just dreaming

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Bryan Rouse, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Bryan Rouse

Builder

Is there anyway to save zero coordinates from a job? In other words, if I an working on 2 different work pieces at the same time, is there a way to keep from having to re-zero everything when switching back and forth from job to job?

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You could use different workplace coordinates systems. G54 is the first (default) one, but there are 5 others with most controllers.
    What controller do you have and what cad-cam software are you using?

Alex.

3. Bryan Rouse

Builder

Thanks Alex, I'll get back to you on that. I'm using Carveco and OpenBuilds. Will have to check on controller. It's a Shapeoko 3xl cnc.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

My work around is to cut one part, then jog a known distance in either x or y (ex. 100 mm) to where I want to cut the second, then reset WCS xy zero. Run the tool path again, jog back to the original zero and repeat. I am to dumb to write macros

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Misterg

Misterg Veteran
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

And my work around...

Set the first job (in the default G54), and when the machine is at 0,0,0 switch to (say) G55 and zero out all the axes, then switch back to G54 to run the job.

When the time comes, I set up the second job (also in G54) and when the machine is at 0,0,0 switch to (say) G56, zero out the axes and then switch back to G54 to run the job.

Depending on where the Z is set, you may not want to do a goto Z0, in which case, set the Z axis to a known height before zeroing out the G55/G56, etc. coordinates and remember what value that was.

If I want to switch between them, I temporarily change to G55 or G56 and hit goto X0,Y0 (and Z0 if needed), switch back to G54 and zero out the axes and I'm ready to go. If you set the Z axis to a value other than 0, enter this in the Z coordinate box in Control and hit +SHIFT+ ENTER and it sets the current Z position to that value.

(It takes longer to read / write it down than it does to actually do it.)

David the swarfer likes this.