Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Jogging isn't moving the proper increments

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Brian Terreau, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Brian Terreau

Builder

I have a weird issue. My Lead 1515 was working just fine yesterday. Now, when I go to use it today the increment that it jogs is random. Sometimes when I tell it to jog a direction 1" it moves 1". Other times it moves 0.39". It does this in all axes and in all increments - if I try to go 10" it sometimes goes 3.9". But then it will go back to the proper distance without me changing any settings at all. Any ideas?

I also tried restarting my computer and restarting Openbuilds control a few times. Does the same thing.

#1 Brian Terreau, Dec 12, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2020
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Are you measuring the distance, or is that the number shown?
    Switch between Incremental and Continuous mode?

3. Brian Terreau

Builder

It is the number shown as well as the amount actually moved. I Uninstalled and reinstalled openbuilds control and it went back to normal increments... for about 5 seconds before I did a homed the machine. Immediately after homing it stopped doing the same thing again! So, it is actually moving 3.94" when it is supposed to go 10", .394" when it is supposed to go 1", etc. This is exactly 100mm and 10mm which can't be a coincidence, but I cannot find any setting that would make it do that. I did not make a single change to either hardware or software, and for a bit it was flipping back and forth while doing nothing but jogging the machine around trying to figure out what was going on.

It is in incremental mode not continuous. I have run 2 jobs and they both ran normally, so it is only affecting the machine jogging

#3 Brian Terreau, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2020
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Find the pattern. What did you do in those 5 seconds

Dont uninstall reinstall that is pointless :) just Quit it by right clicking icon in system try, and start it again

5. Brian Terreau

Builder

Yes but quitting does nothing, it is already acting up on a freshly opened program. The only time it has been reset was on a fresh install. There is no tracing of steps to be done, I literally hit a "jog right " button, then hit the home button. Those were the only 2 things that were touched. Is there some setting that tells it to jog in mm?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

It ALWAYS jogs in mm under the hood :)

The mm/inch tabs above the DROs control what the user sees. And changes the distance (100mm or 10"=254mm depending on mode )

Are you actually quitting? :) not just minimising the window with the X button. Rightclick system tray icon and quit from there.

7. Brian Terreau

Builder

Yes I am actually quitting. It can't be a coincidence that the thing is moving 100mm, 10mm, 1mm, etc when it is supposed to be moving 10", 1", .1" ...

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Thus
    Switch between mm and inch and back. Using the tabs above the DRO.
    (that tab changes the mode from mm to inch and vice versa, also changes the increments for example 100mm in mm mode, or 10" in inch mode (same button))

Also check Grbl settings, make sure $13=0 gnea/grbl as we use mm internally - in case you maybe changed it somewhere along the line?