Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Jog with different feedrate for X- and Y-axis?

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Adrian Tomren, Jul 14, 2023.

1. Adrian Tomren

Builder

Hi!

Is it possible to jog with different feedrates for X- and Y-axis?
    For example a command like: $J=G90 G21 X500 Y1000 Fx1000 Fy2000?

I cant seem to find anything about this, except for maybe "F - Feed rate value. NOTE: Each jog requires this value and is not treated as modal." (from the wiki), but this just means that I need at least one F-value in a jog-command right?

Thank you

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Per-line only feedrate is allowed. That is a max rate. Moving from one position to another it calculates the vectors for each axis and automatically moves to point in space defined by you, to do so, it sets each axis to the needed speed so they "arrive" at the same time. Usually only one axis gets to honor your commanded feedrate, the others slow down to make the move work.

If each could move at a defined rate you wouldn't jog in a straight line as commanded. It would be something like a curve

Adrian Tomren and Rick 2.0 like this.
  3. Adrian Tomren

Builder

I see, thank you!

Im guessing there is no way around this? :)
    My case is that I have to steer the ACRO in realtime, which I do with jog-commands and jog-cancel, where the reference of speed/position is a signal from another controller (yes, it seems very unnecessary haha). As you're saying, jogging moves the ACRO in a linear motion, but while running a program you can also move in a circular motion (G02 ?). Is there any way to implement this for jogging too, or is it such an imbedded part of the code, that one would need to change the whole code-structure to do so? As the jog-command itself is constructed for one feedrate only.

Thank you for all the help,
    -Adrian

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

not just part of the controller but part of the entire Gcode ecosystem. what you are trying to do is just not part of what Gcode does.
    Gcode is designed to run cutting machines where the X , Y and Z (and other axes) are synchronised together such that all commanded moves end at the commanded point at the same time.
    seems to me you are trying to do moves that are not synchronised together.
    there are 2 ways to do this:

a) use 2 blackbox controllers, one does X the other does Y, you will need your box to give jog commands on 2 usb/serial ports.

b) write custom software for the blackbox that allows you do send whatever movements you want. the arduino enviroment can do this and there are stepper motor libraries that do a good job though they may not be able to do the max speeds GRBL can do sicne GRBL is highly optimized for speedy synchonized motion.