Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Jog machine using gamepad or keypad?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by jeffmorris, Nov 11, 2018.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

My machines has CNC XPro V3 boards. I tried to search the Internet to see if I can jog the machines using gamepad or keypad but I couldn't find anything. Is it possible to jog the machines using gamepad or keypad?

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Jeff, Yes you can use a keypad with UGS, you can setup the jog using any keys you want.
    If you switch from GRBL to Estlcam like I did you can use a gamepad (standard playstation corded or cordless)
    Cheers
    Gary

3. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

In GRBL Panel's Settings tab, Click "Enable keyboard arrows" so that you can use the keypad to jog the machine. I tried to use UGS Platform but I couldn't get the key binding window.

4. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

mapping not working in the tool/options for UGS? It's been a while since i tried it.

upload_2018-11-11_23-5-10.png

5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

bCNC will also use an external number key pad for jogging, and setting the jog distance.

let me clarify something. the XPro runs GRBL and does not have time to do anything else. it is a busy little processor just accepting commands from the PC and converting them into pulses for the motors. so, it cannot have any kind of keypad plugged into it directly.

jogging keypads and anything else you want are up to the GUI program, like UGS, Grbl-Panel, bCNC, Candle, Openbuilds machine driver and others. Some are very simple, and others are a lot more comprehensive. Your choice!

Personally I have tried them all and settled on bCNC, it does more than a I need, it supports a webcam for alignment, has an editor, it can accept plugins for doing new things and important to me it properly supports all co-ordinate systems G54 through G59 whereas most others only set a G91 offset for your current workpiece. Since I added a USB keypad for jogging I have been very happy though I do still use the mouse for some things.

JustinTime and joe williams like this.
  6. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I use "Go to Special Position 1" and "Go to Special Position 2" buttons for auto-zero probe. First button moves the Z-Axis down until the bit touches the plate. Second button sets the tool height above the top surface of the material by the thickness of the touch plate. Is it possible to assign a key on the numeric keypad to the buttons? It's hard for me to move the mouse cursor to the correct button before clicking on it.